The Good Ol' Days of PF Chatroom

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, a chat room would be great. Then we could talk without having to wait every thirty seconds to do a search.In summary, a chat room would be great. Then we could talk without having to wait every thirty seconds to do a search.
Gale
so, i was discussing this with a comrade...

remember back in the day? pf had a chatroom... i think it only operated every once in a while. but it was a real time way for pfers to chat it up. it was good times... if i remember... seems like ages ago really... anyways, there weren't really as many people around then, so it was sometimes boring... but I'm thinking with the sort of activity general discussion gets nowadays... a chat'd be cool eh?

yep...

Physics news on Phys.org
Chat room conversations are either going too fast or it's totally dead. The great thing about message boards is you can post anytime you want and have someone reply at their own time and it won't kill any momentum.

Also, when you have such a demented group it's probably best to keep some control on standards. :devil: :bugeye:

I think a chat room would be great. Then we could talk without having to wait every thirty seconds to do a search.

exactly. it'd be cool to have a chatroom. like i said, there used to be one. it'd totally be entertaining too... man... thatd be sweet.

I'd be sure to stay out.I'm not a funny person to chat with.

Daniel.

You could be the one that everyone hates...no, we have BT

I remember the chat room for PF. Several of us spent hours debunking several notions on magnets? lol that's all I can recall of the chats. Except getting to know a few people better, by seeing how they express them selfs in real time.

Chat rooms get out of control, too many people talking at the same time, and you end up missing the important messages because of all the garbage, so I end up making everyone invisible, which defeats the purpose of the chat.

As soon as there are more than 8 or 10 people in a chat room, I get completely lost. At least I can touch type; those who need to look down at the keyboard are really lost in chat because by the time you type something and look back up, there are two more screens you've missed reading. I also run out of room in the little text box before I'm done saying what I have to say.

Moonbear said:
As soon as there are more than 8 or 10 people in a chat room, I get completely lost. At least I can touch type; those who need to look down at the keyboard are really lost in chat because by the time you type something and look back up, there are two more screens you've missed reading. I also run out of room in the little text box before I'm done saying what I have to say.

Who looks at the keyboard anymore... :uhh:

whozum said:
Who looks at the keyboard anymore... :uhh:
I'm the fastest four fingered typist in the world. Thumbs for the space bar.

What was the PF situation like when it had a chatroom?

From chatrooms elsewhere that I've been in they get out of hand quickly. It is an entirely different way of communication than the posting method. Posting gives a person time to consider the previous posts and reflect on their own words. It is all lost in chat. I have to say I am curious to see what a PF chat would look like.

I don't recall it getting out of hand, mostly due to the time differences of members around the world. It wasn't over crowded.

ya, from what i recall of the pf chat, it was sort of mellow. nothing at all like the other chatrooms. i hate chats usually, cause people just start doing stupid stuff. but the pf one wasn't really like that... and like hypatia said, time zone differences and all... i think it'd be fun times.

Also, when there was a pf chat, it wasn't like the boards stopped. the chat room loaded when you first got to pf, but you could leave whenever and just post on the boards normally. obviously, people who post seriously all the time didn't stay in the chat long. the chat was mostly a real-time general discussion. it was optional. it was fun.

Didn't the chat room here die because no one was using it? I remember going to it a few times and no one was there.

ya maybe... I'm not sure what the declared reason was... but that was probably it. general discussion didn't used to be this popular though. i mean, when i first joined, i could log in once a day, and there wouldn't be any active threads. now though, i can leave for an hour and there's 12. people post like mad. a chat would make much more sense nowadays.

Huckleberry said:
I'm the fastest four fingered typist in the world. Thumbs for the space bar.

You can't just go saying things like that without details.

Gale17 said:
ya maybe... I'm not sure what the declared reason was... but that was probably it. general discussion didn't used to be this popular though. i mean, when i first joined, i could log in once a day, and there wouldn't be any active threads. now though, i can leave for an hour and there's 12. people post like mad. a chat would make much more sense nowadays.

Fire it up. Perhaps organized chat rooms would work.
IRC?

whozum said:
Fire it up. Perhaps organized chat rooms would work.
IRC?

michio kaku used to have an irc chat and nobody would go to it so his chat was shut down and he moved to these forums! irc is kinda hard for inexperienced computer users to handle so a webbasd irc would be needed most likely. but i think irc is great and if it is added i would idle there all day :biggrin:

This thread needs revival.

WE NEED A CHAT ROOM. Everyone, look at the amount of useless posting in General Discussion lately. It would benefit everyone if we had a chatroom. I mean there are ~ 130, 140 new threads in July alone

So i admit that i won't be here to benefit (in case it's done), but let's do it for the other members. :smile:

Please, Greg. :!)

Daniel.

Yes, we really need a chatroom!Most of time useless threads have an eye-catching title and you'll realize it just after you spend a lot of time through them!and we usually don't find any time to visit important threads!If you want GD to be a plce for chitchatting...,please explain under the name of the forum!

Thank you, Lisa, for supporting my cause. :smile:

Daniel.

Every time I logged into the chat room no one else was there.

Is it really necessary? Can't you set up an AIM chatroom with online members?

I don't have aim. I would like a chatroom, but I think we kinda have one: franzbear

come on irc.rizon.net #physics wewt

1. What was the PF chatroom like in its prime?

The PF chatroom was a bustling community filled with lively discussions about various scientific topics. The chatroom was always active, with multiple conversations happening at once.

2. How did the chatroom contribute to the PF community?

The chatroom was a central hub for members of the PF community to connect and share their knowledge and ideas. It provided a platform for members to engage in real-time discussions and build relationships with fellow scientists.

3. Were there any notable members or events in the chatroom?

Yes, there were many notable members and events in the chatroom. Some of the most well-known members were regular contributors to discussions and often provided valuable insights and perspectives. The chatroom also hosted special events, such as guest speakers and Q&A sessions, which were highly anticipated by the community.

4. What led to the decline of the chatroom?

The decline of the chatroom can be attributed to the rise of social media platforms and other online forums. Many members shifted their focus to these platforms, resulting in a decrease in activity in the chatroom. Additionally, as the PF community grew, it became more difficult to moderate and maintain the chatroom.

5. Is the chatroom still active today?

While the chatroom is no longer as active as it once was, it is still accessible for members to use. However, it is not as popular as it used to be, and most discussions now take place on other platforms. Some members still visit the chatroom occasionally, but it is no longer a central part of the PF community.