Please help to my physics project

In summary, to find elements in rocks using gamma spectrum, one can use a multichannel analyzer to obtain a unique gamma spectrum for each element and compare it to known charts to determine the elements present. These charts can be found at sites such as http://www.radiochemistry.org/periodictable/gamma_spectra/. The presence of strong peaks at specific energy levels can indicate the presence of certain elements, while the presence of lesser peaks can confirm their presence.
muralee
I am doing project in tracing elements(can be radioactive) in rocks .If the eliments are naturally radioactive i use multichannel analyser and get the gamma spectrum which are unique for eliments and find out the eliments.My question is how can i find the eliments from the gamma spectrum.There are datas to find out the eliments but i don't know how to use that.please help me to my project

Thank you
K.muraleetharan :zzz:

Physics news on Phys.org
muralee said:
I am doing project in tracing elements(can be radioactive) in rocks .If the eliments are naturally radioactive i use multichannel analyser and get the gamma spectrum which are unique for eliments and find out the eliments.My question is how can i find the eliments from the gamma spectrum.There are datas to find out the eliments but i don't know how to use that.please help me to my project

Thank you
K.muraleetharan :zzz:

If you have used a multichannel analyzer, you know it can produce spectrum charts of the gamma energy it detects. By comparing those charts to the charts taken from known elements, you can determine which elements must be present. There is a catalog of charts at this site

http://www.radiochemistry.org/periodictable/gamma_spectra/

If you click on the number of the isotope you get charts of the spectrum of that isotope. For example, a fairly simple chart is produced by Cobalt 57. If you had a sample that produced those very strong peaks at 122, 136 and 692 that would be a pretty good indication of the presence of Cobalt. You would look more carefully to see if the lesser peaks were also present, and if they were, you would conclude that your rocks contained some Cobalt.

Hi K.muraleetharan,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your physics project. It sounds like you are working on an interesting topic related to tracing elements in rocks using a multichannel analyser to obtain gamma spectra. To find out the elements present in the rocks, you can use the data provided by the analyser.

First, you need to understand how the multichannel analyser works. It measures the energy of the gamma rays emitted by the elements in the rock sample. Each element has a unique energy signature, which is represented by a peak in the gamma spectrum. The height of the peak indicates the amount of the element present in the sample.

To identify the elements, you need to compare the peaks in your gamma spectrum with the known energy signatures of different elements. This information can be found in a database or reference book. You can also use software programs specifically designed for this purpose.

Another helpful way to find the elements is by using a technique called gamma spectroscopy. This involves analyzing the shapes and intensities of the peaks in the gamma spectrum to determine the specific elements present in the sample.

I recommend consulting with your teacher or a physics expert for guidance on how to interpret the gamma spectrum and identify the elements. They can also provide you with resources to help you understand and use the data effectively.

I wish you the best of luck with your project! Keep exploring and learning about the fascinating world of physics.

1. What is your physics project about?

My physics project is about investigating the properties of light and how it interacts with different materials.

2. What materials are you using in your project?

I am using a laser, various lenses, mirrors, and different types of filters to manipulate and observe the behavior of light.

3. What experiments have you conducted for your project?

So far, I have conducted experiments on the refraction and reflection of light, polarization, and diffraction. I am also planning to conduct experiments on interference and the photoelectric effect.

4. What have you learned from your project so far?

I have learned a lot about the properties of light, such as its speed, wavelength, and frequency. I have also learned about the different phenomena that occur when light interacts with matter, such as diffraction and polarization.

5. How can your project be applied in real life?

My project can have practical applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and photography. Understanding the properties of light can also help in the development of new technologies, such as fiber optics and laser technology.