What are shape functions and how are they used in FEA?

In summary, shape functions in FEM are functions used to approximate the solution of a problem by constructing an approximate solution using polynomials of different degrees. They are typically used in FEA and the method can also be constructed using other functions. The shape functions work element by element and satisfy necessary conditions such as boundary conditions. Nowadays, most problems are solved using linear or quadratic elements, but the use of higher order elements can be beneficial in certain applications.
chandran
I know that shape function is a function that will give the displacements inside an element if its displacement at all the node locations of the element are known.

What is linear ,polynomial in shape functions. If i say as linear somebody else may say polynomial etc.

I am not able to visualize this shape functions at all and i am stuck with this in fea. Can anybody throw some light.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In FEM the approximate solution is typically constructed using polynominals of various degrees (and hence we've different order elements), since the mathematical construction and evaluation of integrals numerically are pretty straightforward when using them. Other bases such as harmonic ones are used seldom, but in principle the method can be constructed with pretty much whatever functions.

We can present the shape / basis functions [itex]\phi_{i}[/itex] for the solution [itex]v(x)[/itex] (of the FEA problem in question that is), say for a 1D problem, as

[tex]
v(x)=\sum_{i=1}^n \eta_{i}\phi_{i}(x)
[/tex]

where [itex]\eta_{i}=v(x_{i})[/itex] (the nodal values), [itex]x[/itex] belongs to the solution domain, the summation is carried over the elements in the discretization (and the shape functions work element by element, satisfying the necessary conditions such as boundary conditions at element nodes), and the FEA minimization problem can be then formulated as finding [itex] u \in V[/itex] for

[tex]
F(u) \leq F(v), \forall v \in V
[/tex]

where [itex]V[/itex] is the space for [itex]v[/itex].

Typically nowadays most problems are solved either using linear or quadratic elements (polynomial sense)(quads preferred often if we're considering e.g. typical structural mechanics elliptic problems, if the computational cost is not an issue), although in many applications use of for example the p - FEM is beneficial (where you adaptively decide the interpolation order depending on your solution in either a priori / a posteriori sense).

Shape functions are mathematical functions that are used in Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to represent the displacement of a finite element. They are used to calculate the deformation and stresses within an element based on the nodal displacements.

In FEA, a structure is divided into smaller elements, and the displacement at each node of these elements is known. However, the displacement within the element is not known. This is where shape functions come into play. They are used to interpolate the displacement within an element based on the nodal displacements.

Linear shape functions are simple functions that represent a linear variation of displacement within an element. They are used for elements with straight edges, such as triangles and quadrilaterals. Polynomial shape functions are more complex and can represent curved variations of displacement within an element. They are used for elements with curved edges, such as circles and ellipses.

To visualize shape functions, imagine a simple element with three nodes. Each node has a known displacement in the x and y directions. The shape function will take these nodal displacements as inputs and provide a mathematical expression for the displacement within the element. This displacement can then be used to calculate the stresses and strains within the element.

In summary, shape functions are essential in FEA as they allow us to calculate the displacement within an element based on the nodal displacements. They come in different forms, such as linear and polynomial, depending on the type of element being analyzed. Visualizing shape functions may be challenging at first, but with practice and understanding of their mathematical representation, it becomes easier to grasp their concept.

What are shape functions in FEA?

Shape functions in FEA (finite element analysis) are mathematical functions used to interpolate the nodal values of a finite element model. They represent the variation of the element's physical properties within its boundaries. These functions are used to approximate the solution of a partial differential equation in FEA.

Why are shape functions important in FEA?

Shape functions are crucial in FEA because they allow for the representation of complex and irregular geometries as a series of simpler elements. Without shape functions, it would be impossible to accurately model and analyze structures with varying shapes and sizes. In addition, shape functions help to reduce the computational cost of FEA simulations.

What is the most commonly used shape function in FEA?

The most commonly used shape function in FEA is the Lagrange polynomial. This function is used to approximate the displacement field within an element by interpolating the nodal values. Other commonly used shape functions include the Hermite polynomial and the Bernstein polynomial.

How are shape functions derived in FEA?

Shape functions are derived by satisfying certain conditions, such as continuity and completeness, and by satisfying the governing equations of the finite element method. The specific method of deriving shape functions may vary depending on the type of element and the desired accuracy of the solution.

Can shape functions be modified in FEA?

Yes, shape functions can be modified in FEA to improve the accuracy of the solution or to overcome certain limitations of a specific element. This can be done by using higher order shape functions, incorporating additional terms in the shape function equations, or using different types of shape functions altogether.