How much gold is deposited in 6 hours of electrolysis at 0.540 A?

In summary, using Faraday's law and the half-reaction for Au3+, it is possible to calculate the amount of gold deposited in an electrolysis process. By using the formula n = It/zF, where n is the number of moles of Au, I is the current, t is the time, and z is the number of excess electrons, and then multiplying by the molar mass of gold, the final result is 7.94 grams of gold deposited in 6 hours with a constant current of 0.540 A.
~angel~
In the electrolysis of Au3+ (aq) solution, gold is deposited. How much gold is deposited in 6 hours by a constant current of 0.540 A?

I know you need to find the moles of e- by using It/F. But I'm not sure where to go from there.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Faraday's law,compute the mass of Au by making those multiplications/divisions and then compare to the fninal result.

The formulation's kinda vague,so you can leave the final answer in Kg...

Daniel.

Consider the half-reaction

Au3+(aq) + 3e- -------------> Au(s)

Now 1 mol of Au3+ requires 3 Faradays (3*96500 C) to deposit 1 mol of Au

Therefore, if the amount of charge passed is 6*3600*.540 C, how many moles of Au will be deposited?

Okie dokie, thanks.

I just used n = It/zF (where z= amount of "excess" electrons). Then multiplied the answer by the molar mass of gold. That gave me 7.94g.

What is the process of electrolysis of gold?

The process of electrolysis of gold involves passing an electric current through a solution of gold chloride, which causes the gold to be deposited on the cathode (negative electrode).

Why is electrolysis of gold used?

Electrolysis of gold is used to purify and refine gold that has impurities, such as silver, copper, or other metals. It is also used to recover gold from electronic waste or scrap metal.

What are the materials needed for electrolysis of gold?

The materials needed for electrolysis of gold include a source of gold chloride, a power source (such as a battery or power supply), two electrodes (one for the anode and one for the cathode), and a container to hold the solution.

What is the role of the anode and cathode in electrolysis of gold?

The anode is the positive electrode and is usually made of an inert material, such as platinum or graphite. It oxidizes the impurities in the gold solution, while the cathode, the negative electrode, attracts the pure gold ions and causes them to be deposited on its surface.

What are some safety precautions to take when performing electrolysis of gold?

Some safety precautions to take when performing electrolysis of gold include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to avoid contact with the solution and the electrodes, using a well-ventilated area, and following proper disposal methods for any hazardous materials used.