Controversy is a part of PF

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the thread about testability in principle was moved to theory development because some posts were not related to theory development.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It may be that controversy is a part of PF, but if one wants a pure non reactive
thread ,is it beyond the moderators to purify a thread?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
It may be that controversy is a part of PF, but if one wants a pure non reactive
thread ,is it beyond the moderators to purify a thread?
What did you have in mind?

Evo said:
What did you have in mind?
There is an excellent thread in GA&C (the testablity of your model), started by wolfram, which had been attracting some OT posts. I cleaned it up some.

However, I think wolfram's point has merit, in general - where there is very good idea for a thread with a well-defined, constrained scope, is there a way for the OP to ask that posts to that thread stay within scope, and for mods to delete posts which don't?

Nereid said:
There is an excellent thread in GA&C (the testablity of your model), started by wolfram, which had been attracting some OT posts. I cleaned it up some.

However, I think wolfram's point has merit, in general - where there is very good idea for a thread with a well-defined, constrained scope, is there a way for the OP to ask that posts to that thread stay within scope, and for mods to delete posts which don't?

Thanks Neried, for your support.

Nereid said:
It's in the Posting Guidelines

"Any off-topic posts will be deleted or moved to an approprite forum as per administrator & moderator discretion."

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

So perhaps the mods - other than Evo of course - need to exercise their discretion a tad more often, no?

nereid said:
...started by wolfram, which ..

wolram said:
Thanks Neried, for your support.

Happens to me all the time. The letters getting into the wrong places. But this is off topic of course. :redface:

Feel free to PM me if you have such concerns, wolram.
As noted, we can clean up topics that go astray.

Shouldn't the whole testability thread be moved to theory development? I have soms difficulties to understand why some posts are moved, but others (related to personal theories of PF members) are not. Nothing against these theories and these PF members, but I find this very confusing.

hellfire said:
Shouldn't the whole testability thread be moved to theory development? I have soms difficulties to understand why some posts are moved, but others (related to personal theories of PF members) are not. Nothing against these theories and these PF members, but I find this very confusing.
Just consider Theory Development to be a waste bin for the untestable theories. The moderators help sift out what's legitimate discussion and what isn't, but if you see something that you think may be questionable, you can always send a private message to a mentor and ask for clarification. They may have not seen a thread in a busy forum, or may have chosen to let it stand for a reason they can explain to you.

hellfire said:

I've been cutting slack while we worked on this...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=81172

Like Moonbear said, some threads are easy to identify for the TD bin. Others, while non-mainstream, still present good discussions for consideration and we may not want to have it lost in TD. Now we will have a specific forum for these interesting discussions and we will no longer host what used to be sent to TD.

What is "Controversy is a part of PF"?

"Controversy is a part of PF" is a phrase that acknowledges the fact that controversy is a natural and inevitable part of the scientific process. It means that scientific ideas and theories are constantly being challenged and debated, and this is essential for the advancement of knowledge.

Why is controversy important in the field of science?

Controversy is important in science because it allows for different perspectives and ideas to be presented and evaluated. This helps to identify flaws in existing theories and can lead to the development of new and more accurate understandings of the natural world.

What are some common examples of controversy in science?

Some common examples of controversy in science include debates over the validity of certain theories or hypotheses, conflicting research findings, and ethical considerations in the use of certain methods or technologies.

How can scientists address controversy in a constructive manner?

Scientists can address controversy in a constructive manner by engaging in open and respectful dialogue with their colleagues, considering all available evidence and perspectives, and conducting further research to test and refine existing theories.

Is controversy always a positive thing in science?

While controversy can ultimately lead to progress and advancement in science, it can also lead to confusion and conflict if not handled appropriately. Therefore, it is important for scientists to approach controversy with critical thinking, open-mindedness, and a willingness to consider alternative viewpoints.