Need Help with Calculus Summer Assignment on Cosine Identities?

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with an assignment due in a couple of hours. The task is to find the value of cos(theta) given the equation cos(2theta)=1/3 and 0<=2theta<=pi. The expert provides the identity cos(2alpha)=2cos^2(alpha)-1 and prompts the student to make progress. The student eventually arrives at the answer of cos(theta)=sqrt(6)/3. The conversation then shifts to a different problem involving simplifying an equation with trig identities. The expert provides the hint of using the Pythagorean identity and the student eventually arrives at the answer of 3r\cos(theta).
hotrocks007
I'm taking Calculus next year and over the summer I have some assignments.
This one is due in a couple of hours, so any help would be appreciated!

If cos2t=1/3 and *0<_ 2t <_ pie, find cost. t=theta *less than or equal to

I don't know how to use the identities to help me.
:confused:
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well...

[tex]\cos{(2\alpha)} = 2\cos^2{(\alpha)}-1[/tex]

Plug that in and post when you make progress.

ohh, costheta=sqrt(6)/3
?

[tex]2\cos^2{(\alpha)}-1 = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

[tex]2\cos^2{(\alpha)}=\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

[tex]\cos^2{(\alpha)}=\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

Can you finish from here?

oh yes thanks!

how about this one.

I'm not sure how to simplify it down, and how to distribute the ^2 once it has been plugged in.
x^2 + y^2 +3x=0 when x=rcostheta and y=rsintheta

Remember that [itex]\sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 1[/itex]. These questions don't seem to have anything to do with calculus, they just seem to be trigonometry.

[tex](r\cos{\theta})^2 + (r\sin{\theta})^2+3(r\cos{\theta})=0[/tex]

[tex]r^2\cos^2{(\theta)}+r^2\sin^2{(\theta)}+3(r\cos{\theta})=0[/tex]

Do you see the trig identity coming in?

Last edited by a moderator:
the Pythag. Identity? Would you have to plug in rcostheta with the 3x?

I should have plugged that in earlier. But no, that's not where the identity comes in.

I'll give you my last hint to this problem.

[tex]r^2\cos^2{(\theta)}+r^2\sin^2{(\theta)}+3(r\cos{\theta})=0[/tex]

[tex]r^2(\cos^2{\theta}+\sin^2{\theta})...[/tex]

OH! thanks!

when you distribute the 3, would it be 3rcos3theta? or do you just not distribute the 3 to the cos?

[tex]3r\cos{(\theta)}[/tex]

1. What is a calculus summer assignment?

A calculus summer assignment is a set of math problems and exercises that are given to students who will be taking a calculus course in the upcoming school year. It is designed to review and reinforce the concepts learned in previous math courses and prepare students for the more advanced topics covered in calculus.

2. Why do students have to complete a calculus summer assignment?

Calculus is a challenging subject that requires a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus. The summer assignment helps students refresh their knowledge and skills, so they are better equipped to understand and succeed in their calculus course. It also allows teachers to start the school year at a more advanced level, maximizing the time spent on new material.

3. How long does it take to complete a calculus summer assignment?

The time it takes to complete a calculus summer assignment varies depending on the length and difficulty of the assignment, as well as the student's math proficiency. It is recommended to spend a few hours per week working on the assignment, rather than trying to complete it all at once. It is important to pace oneself and ask for help if needed.

4. What happens if a student does not complete the calculus summer assignment?

While it is strongly recommended to complete the calculus summer assignment, it is ultimately up to the teacher's discretion on whether or not it will impact the student's grade. However, not completing the assignment can put the student at a disadvantage in understanding the material and keeping up with the pace of the class.

5. Can students work together on the calculus summer assignment?

It is best to check with the specific teacher for their policy on collaboration for the summer assignment. Some teachers may allow students to work together, while others may want students to complete the assignment independently. Even if collaboration is allowed, it is important for each student to fully understand the concepts and be able to solve the problems on their own.