World-sheets, manifolds, and coordinate systems

In summary, we discussed the properties of world-sheets in string theory, specifically the relationship between space-time coordinates and 2D surface parameters. It was mentioned that manifolds are locally Euclidean, but it does not make sense to say that coordinates are Euclidean. The target space of spacetime is Lorentzian, but mathematical tricks are used to treat the worldsheet metric as Riemannian. It was also noted that manifolds can be expressed locally with a Euclidean metric, but this does not necessarily mean they have the geometry of a Euclidean space.
Mike2
I'm trying to understand the manifold properties of world-sheets in string theory. I'm told that world sheets are manifolds and that manifolds are locally Euclidean. So I would like to know the characteristics between the space-time coordinates of the world-sheet given as xμ verses the 2D surface parameterized by (σ,τ). Are xμ locally Euclidean? Are the coordinates (σ,τ) locally Euclidean? Remember xμ are functions of the parameters (σ,τ) or xμ=xμ(σ,τ) which defines a surface in space-time. How does this all relate to manifold theory?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make sense to say whether coordinates (such as the embedding spacetime coordinates xμ or the worldsheet coordinates (σ,τ)) are "Euclidean". Manifolds are Euclidean, not coordinates.

Spacetime (the target space) is Lorentzian (locally Minkowski), and so is a string worldsheet embedded within it. (Lorentzian means that its metric has the spacetime signature (-,+,+,+), as opposed to the Euclidean (+,+,+,+).) However, mathematical tricks are often performed performed to treat the worldsheet metric as Riemannian (locally Euclidean).

Last edited:

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
It doesn't make sense to say whether coordinates (such as the embedding spacetime coordinates xμ or the worldsheet coordinates (σ,τ)) are "Euclidean". Manifolds are Euclidean, not coordinates.

This probably explains why there is a whole chapter in Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings, by Brian Hatfield about manifold theory, but he never seems to make the connection with world-sheets. I could be wrong. I only skimmed it. I don't have it memorized.

Is it more accurate to say that manifolds CAN BE expressed locally with a euclidean metric?

Originally posted by Mike2
Is it more accurate to say that manifolds CAN BE expressed locally with a euclidean metric?

I would say: "A Riemannian manifold has a locally Euclidean metric. A Lorentzian manifold has a locally Minkowskian metric. Any manifold is locally Euclidean, topologically speaking."

(There's a difference between having the topology of a Euclidean space, and having the geometry of a Euclidean space.)

1. What is a world-sheet?

A world-sheet is a mathematical concept used in theoretical physics to describe the trajectory of a particle or string in space-time. It is a two-dimensional surface that represents the history of a particle's motion through space and time.

2. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical space that can be described by a set of coordinates. It is a topological space that locally resembles Euclidean space, but may have a more complex global structure. In physics, manifolds are used to describe the geometry of space-time.

3. How are world-sheets and manifolds related?

World-sheets are examples of manifolds, as they are two-dimensional surfaces that can be described by a set of coordinates. In physics, world-sheets are typically used to describe the motion of strings or other extended objects in space-time, while manifolds can describe the geometry of space-time itself.

4. What are coordinate systems?

Coordinate systems are mathematical tools used to describe the position of points in space. They consist of a set of numbers or parameters that specify the location of a point in relation to a reference point or origin. In physics, coordinate systems are used to describe the position and motion of objects in space and time.

5. How do coordinate systems help us understand the physical world?

Coordinate systems provide a way to quantify and measure the position and motion of objects in the physical world. By using mathematical coordinates, we can make precise predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles or objects in space-time. Coordinate systems also allow us to describe and visualize complex physical phenomena in a more intuitive and organized way.