What's your area and level of expertise?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, this conversation is discussing the different areas of expertise and interests of biologists on the forum. There is a strong emphasis on neuroscience and medical-related research, but there are also experts in reproductive physiology, microbiology, genetics, and other fields. The conversation also touches on the importance of precision in communication and the diversity of opinions and feedback on the internet. The conversation includes a variety of individuals, from high school students interested in pursuing a career in biology to experienced professionals with advanced degrees and years of experience.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We've recently gotten a number of biologists on board here, so I thought it would be a good time to do a quick survey to find out what areas of expertise/interest we have here and what levels of training folks have. Mainly I'm asking because I do know some of the areas folks are working in, and we seem to have folks who can answer quite a lot of the questions on animals and microorganisms, but I haven't seen any plant biologists around (there's a question just sitting a few threads down that requires some knowledge of plant biology, and I don't see anyone jumping in with an answer).

So, I'd like to hear from those who are past their bachelor's degree in a field of biology (whether you're a grad student, post-doc, Ph.D., working in industry, M.D, etc.) Those of you who are still students, feel free to share your interests of what you'd like to do with your biology degree as well, if you know yet.

Okay, I'll start:
I have a Ph.D. in Animal Sciences, with a research emphasis on reproductive physiology, endocrinology and behavior. My post-doctoral work provided me with more experience in reproductive endocrinology and neuroendocrinology. I'm currently research faculty at a medical school working in neuroscience where I'm using neuroendocrine and neuroanatomical approaches to understanding the regulation of the female reproductive system at a cellular and molecular level. I also taught general biology for several years, so am familiar with the pedagogy of such courses.

(Feel free to be more or less detailed as suits your comfort level.)

Biology news on Phys.org
I have a PhD in neuroscience, with an emphasis on systems neuroscience particularly eye movements. Currently researching in this field (on a 2 year contract).

gerben, I had no idea you were also in neuroscience! We seem to have quite a neuroscience emphasis around here! :smile:

Well, I'm an adult working in biological sciences (sporadically, currently home with kids.) - Physiology scares the cr*p out of me, Moonbear, :eek: I prefer cellular biology :!) to organismal biology. Um - the reason I think precision in communication is so important is because without it all sorts of mis-perceptions can be perpetuated.

I'd rather not pull out diplomas (I did anyway, when I popped by last week, by way of intro) because I think one of the nice things about the internet is precisely that people *can* just feel free to ask or say whatever their opinion is - and in a diverse forum like this it's nice to know that there are others who can give you a range of feedback, even if some of may be tangential or pedantic.

Sorry,moonbear, skipped botany coursework and *really* wishing I hadn't, what a fascinating and historically important discipline.

Last edited:
I've been most interested in medical-related research subjects on the level of identifying genetic factors/regulation (by molecular biology/genetics). I hope to start doing functional genomics in cancer biology or stem cell related research (I'd love to understand what goes on in a cell to rewire it).

I consider my self a bacteriologist with a focus on pathogenic bacteria but my BSc covered other biology field like ecology, plant biology and zoology.

I am doing my PhD in microbiology. My research focus is on two component-regulatory systems (signal transduction) of gram-positives bacteria and their influence on stress adaptation and growth of bacteria. My MSc research was on acquisition of iron by gram-negative bacteria with a focus on siderophore-independent mechanisms. My BSc research project was about plasmid biology.

Okay, I know there are more of you out there. :biggrin: I think we've been building up some real strengths in people with biology training here, and I want to know who you all are! Come out and introduce yourselves. :smile:

(This will also help when we get more student questions; we'll know who to defer to with the most experience to answer a particular question if an in-depth answer is needed.)

Moonbear said:
Okay, I know there are more of you out there. :biggrin: I think we've been building up some real strengths in people with biology training here, and I want to know who you all are! Come out and introduce yourselves. :smile:

(This will also help when we get more student questions; we'll know who to defer to with the most experience to answer a particular question if an in-depth answer is needed.)
Great thread idea Moonbear!

wow. You people are all old. (no offense). I'm still in bloody high school and I guess I'm leaning a lot more towards a career in Biology more than anything. So that's about it. It might change later on. Can't really say for certain yet.

Mr. dude said:
wow. You people are all old. (no offense). I'm still in bloody high school and I guess I'm leaning a lot more towards a career in Biology more than anything. So that's about it. It might change later on. Can't really say for certain yet.
LOL! No offense taken. I didn't gear my question much toward the high school and college crowd, so there will be a lot of us "old-timers" answering here. :wink: A lot of things change between high school and starting a career, so don't worry about being uncertain yet.

I love biology and its nice to see how many experts we got on here...all this knowledge.

Mr. dude said:
Old!? :tongue2:

They're just kids! (BA math, minor in physics 1955).

Monique said:
Old!? :tongue2:
Sorry Monique, but to a high school student, we're all old. :rofl:

I'm a medical doctor doing postgrad training in Clinical Microbiology.

BA in biochem, minor in math, spent some time doing research in cell signaling, am now doing PhD in computational chemistry (research in biomolecular modeling).

BS in biology with a focus on ecology and animal behavior, minor in forensic science. PhD in Environmental Health and Toxicology with a focus on neurotoxicology of persistent environmental contaminants (PEC). Postdoctoral work, again with PECs, but looking at developmental effects and molecular/receptor interactions. My herpetology background stems more from my hobbies than any specific training, although I've worked with some herp experts.

We've got quite a broadly based set of expertise here. This is fantastic! Anyone else lurking out there? I haven't seen Adrenaline in ages, but I know she's also an M.D., but I'm not sure of her specialty.

quetzacoatl: do you use 3D graphics/engines in your study in computational chemistry? Or is it all numerical stuff?

Moonbear said:
We've got quite a broadly based set of expertise here. This is fantastic! Anyone else lurking out there? I haven't seen Adrenaline in ages, but I know she's also an M.D., but I'm not sure of her specialty.

General Internal Medicine, but I get consulted for most of the acute critical care (ICU, CCU postoperative complicated surgical patients). This is where I do my clinical preceptorship with medical students every three months when I get assigned to ward duty for MCG medical school. I also have a side clinic specializing in athletes with Internal Medicine issues (those with type 1.5 or type I diabetes, hemachromatosis, autoimmune diseases etc.) and I workwith managing their complex medical problems so that they can function at peak level with their athleticism. Because I race mountain bikes, I do see a disproportionate amount of CAT III and above road bike racers and semi pro mountain bikers (I see a lot of college athletes in other fields as a result). Most of them are endurance athletes since medical problems (such as dosing insulin or prednisone, biannual phlebotomies for hemachromatosis really affects these types of athletes more.) I leave non medical problems such as orthopedic problems to the sports medicine orthopedists.

Last edited:
I'm still busy with my bachelor degree, but I'm planning to do a masters degree in herpetology or marine biology. I really like to do fieldwork, so that's what I really want to do after college! Doing conservation work and studying about animal behaviour :)

Moonbear said:
LOL! No offense taken. I didn't gear my question much toward the high school and college crowd, so there will be a lot of us "old-timers" answering here. :wink: A lot of things change between high school and starting a career, so don't worry about being uncertain yet.
that's not the attitude you took towards dduardo!

About to complete my Honours year in Molecular Biology, working with Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Bakers yeast) to study methylglyoxal production, calorie restriction and lifespan.
My degree was a double degree in science and arts, so i also have a double major in arts: Philosophy, and History and Philosophy of Science.

Mr. dude said:
wow. You people are all old. (no offense). I'm still in bloody high school and I guess I'm leaning a lot more towards a career in Biology more than anything.
I envy ppl who are smart enough/lucky enough/bored enough to find a website like this and spend time here while they are still young. By engaging in these sorts of conversations when u still ahve plenty of time to choose your path, you can make a much more informed decision.

neurocomp2003 said:
quetzacoatl: do you use 3D graphics/engines in your study in computational chemistry? Or is it all numerical stuff?

i do molecular dynamics - simulating trajectories of proteins in a box of water molecules, and then getting dynamic properties (such as volume). experimentalists can then use this data to determine what regions of the protein have caused the volume change that they can read to nanosecond timescales.

a graphical animation of this can be made, but this part is trivial...MD involves a great deal of math, quantum and statistical mechanics, etc..

I got a 640 on my Bio SAT II...

I'm an amateur experimental subject

what kind experiments were u involved in

Hi, I just found this website tonight. Well, I am a PhD graduate student in Biophysics. My bachelors degree was in Honors Applied Physics and Mathematics. My honors thesis was in first order computational models of the bowing action of the violin. My research interests are in single molecule studies of globular proteins and novel sprectroscopic techniques. Currently, I am working on the A-beta protein.

i'm in my 3rd year of my undergrad degree for Biomedical Biology... and currently not doing so well :(

Well, chantella, you've come to the right place. I hope you've found our Education Zone (if not, click the link in my signature).

Second year undergraduate studying biology and anthropology.

a third year undergrad at molecular biology and genetics, mainly interested in cell biology I guess -actually more like I'm trying to figure out :)

Greetings

Hey all, I'm a senior working on my B.S. in Biology with an interest in immunology and virology. Research includes neutrophil chemotaxis to synthetic analogues of a particularly antigenic tripeptide found in bacteria. I'm hoping to learn more about biology in general by answering and asking questions here (in the past I'd used it for physics, but there's something much more interesting about the science of lifeforms :smile: ).

Welcome back, stick around! Yeah, science of lifeforms is more interesting but don't say that to the others :wink:

I'm in second year uni working towards a degree in Plant biology, genetics specialization and I'm also doing a minor in Earth sciences.

yay botany! :)

<h2>1. What is your area of expertise?</h2><p>My area of expertise is in the field of biology, specifically in molecular biology and genetics.</p><h2>2. What is your level of expertise?</h2><p>I have a Ph.D. in biology and have been working in this field for over 10 years. I am considered an expert in my field and have published several research papers.</p><h2>3. What kind of research do you do?</h2><p>I primarily focus on studying the genetic mechanisms of diseases, such as cancer, and developing potential treatments. I also conduct research on the effects of environmental factors on gene expression.</p><h2>4. What techniques do you use in your research?</h2><p>I use a variety of techniques in my research, including DNA sequencing, gene editing, and cell culture. I also utilize bioinformatics tools to analyze large datasets.</p><h2>5. How does your research impact society?</h2><p>My research has the potential to contribute to the development of new treatments for diseases, which can improve the quality of life for patients. It also helps us better understand the role of genetics in health and disease, leading to advancements in personalized medicine.</p>

1. What is your area of expertise?

My area of expertise is in the field of biology, specifically in molecular biology and genetics.

2. What is your level of expertise?

I have a Ph.D. in biology and have been working in this field for over 10 years. I am considered an expert in my field and have published several research papers.

3. What kind of research do you do?

I primarily focus on studying the genetic mechanisms of diseases, such as cancer, and developing potential treatments. I also conduct research on the effects of environmental factors on gene expression.

4. What techniques do you use in your research?

I use a variety of techniques in my research, including DNA sequencing, gene editing, and cell culture. I also utilize bioinformatics tools to analyze large datasets.

5. How does your research impact society?

My research has the potential to contribute to the development of new treatments for diseases, which can improve the quality of life for patients. It also helps us better understand the role of genetics in health and disease, leading to advancements in personalized medicine.