What's your area and level of expertise?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, this conversation is discussing the different areas of expertise and interests of biologists on the forum. There is a strong emphasis on neuroscience and medical-related research, but there are also experts in reproductive physiology, microbiology, genetics, and other fields. The conversation also touches on the importance of precision in communication and the diversity of opinions and feedback on the internet. The conversation includes a variety of individuals, from high school students interested in pursuing a career in biology to experienced professionals with advanced degrees and years of experience.
I love plant chemistry too. Finally another kindred plant soul.

Biology news on Phys.org
i haven't study biology, but I'm working in a biology corp. How Amazing.

I work for Eli Lilly as an environmental monitoring technician in the QC microbiology department. My background is primarily science based having received a bachelor of science from the university of south carolina but was geared towards medical. I however routed to this job after searching for a job post graduation, I now have a great understanding of microbiology and cGMP standards in the pharmaceutical industy. I also have a great love for physics and the unknowns of our universe.

I already mentioned my B.S. in Physics in this thread long ago. I've since defended and gotten my M.S. in physics/neuroscience (designed my own theoretical neuroscience degree through the physics and biology departments). Now enrolled and attending a true theoretical neuroscience program for my PhD. My area of expertise is modelling electrically coupled biophysical neural networks. I use tools and language from nonlinear dynamics and chaos to characterize such networks. I also model real animal neurons by fitting the kinetics from clamping experiments with the organism to accepted biophysical models.

I study a lot of developmental and cognitive neuropsychology in my free time and have personally performed the meltzoff experiment with both of my newborn children. I'm also interested in abiogenesis and other aspects of evolution, particularly with respect to the nervous system.

Pythagorean said:
I already mentioned my B.S. in Physics in this thread long ago. I've since defended and gotten my M.S. in physics/neuroscience (designed my own theoretical neuroscience degree through the physics and biology departments). Now enrolled and attending a true theoretical neuroscience program for my PhD. My area of expertise is modelling electrically coupled biophysical neural networks. I use tools and language from nonlinear dynamics and chaos to characterize such networks. I also model real animal neurons by fitting the kinetics from clamping experiments with the organism to accepted biophysical models.

I study a lot of developmental and cognitive neuropsychology in my free time and have personally performed the meltzoff experiment with both of my newborn children. I'm also interested in abiogenesis and other aspects of evolution, particularly with respect to the nervous system.

What kind of courses you took? I'm a neurobio major, but my passion has kind of shifted to mathematics. I'm also taking physics courses and I've been thinking about doing a double major on neurobio and maths/physics. I really could see myself as an applied mathematician, or theoretical physicist, but also as a biophysicist who models nerve cells or something. What I have realized is that I want to do something mathematical. Our bio department really does nothing mathematical, so that's a bit problematic I guess. There's a big electrophysiology lab, but they are experimentalists. Anyway, at the moment I'm taking a lot of courses, all in neurobio, maths and physics. I'm just a 2nd year student so I could study ~5 more years for my double master's very realistically (free education here). After that I'd like to continue to PhD program (It's the standard here that every PhD student has a MSc). My plans may sound big but I'm very enthusiastic about my studies, and I spend a big amount of hours on studying.

KCC2 said:
What kind of courses you took? I'm a neurobio major, but my passion has kind of shifted to mathematics. I'm also taking physics courses and I've been thinking about doing a double major on neurobio and maths/physics. I really could see myself as an applied mathematician, or theoretical physicist, but also as a biophysicist who models nerve cells or something. What I have realized is that I want to do something mathematical. Our bio department really does nothing mathematical, so that's a bit problematic I guess. There's a big electrophysiology lab, but they are experimentalists. Anyway, at the moment I'm taking a lot of courses, all in neurobio, maths and physics. I'm just a 2nd year student so I could study ~5 more years for my double master's very realistically (free education here). After that I'd like to continue to PhD program (It's the standard here that every PhD student has a MSc). My plans may sound big but I'm very enthusiastic about my studies, and I spend a big amount of hours on studying.

The courses that contributed most to my research were: computational physics (we used matlab), nonlinear dynamics and chaos, a handful of neurobio classes, but especially journal club style where we take turns presenting papers.

Knowing the basics of ODEs and my general physics/math background helped a lot with mathematical intuition and knowing how to use the models and analyze complex data sets. The background for ODE's is things like calculus, linear algebra, differential equations.

Oh, also signal analysis (like digital signal processing) can be helpful for analyzing experimental data. I'm particularly interested in peak detection and characterization because I like my models to match experiment. Knowing how real world data works is very helpful in that regard.

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
The courses that contributed most to my research were: computational physics (we used matlab), nonlinear dynamics and chaos, a handful of neurobio classes, but especially journal club style where we take turns presenting papers.

Knowing the basics of ODEs and my general physics/math background helped a lot with mathematical intuition and knowing how to use the models and analyze complex data sets. The background for ODE's is things like calculus, linear algebra, differential equations.

Oh, also signal analysis (like digital signal processing) can be helpful for analyzing experimental data. I'm particularly interested in peak detection and characterization because I like my models to match experiment. Knowing how real world data works is very helpful in that regard.

Interesting. I'm planning on taking a lot of maths during this and next year, slipping in the bio courses I need to get my BSc and trying to do some physics on the side. This fall I have calculus, vector analysis and some linear algebra, and I'm having more calculus and topology during the spring. Next fall I'll probably have a lot of linear algebra and vector analysis + ODEs. The reason I want a maths or physics major (alongside neurobiology) is that if I don't end up doing something biophysics/theoretical neuroscience related, I'd much rather focus on maths or physics than "normal" biology.

I agree. I think there's some really interesting stuff coming up in mathematical/quantitative biology and biophysics and physics applications to biology. I hope the academic job market will be as accommodating to my interests as I perceive it will be :)

I'm an undergrad in my second year, studying Biology with a focus in biotechnology/medicine, and a minor in chemistry. Very interesting thus far.

HI,
I just registered to the forum and thought i would introduce myself..
So... i am physical therapist with a biological sciences major. I am mainly a manual therapist. My main interests are head-related conditions.. headache, sleep apnea, temporomandibular disorders, etc..
Actually doing a master on transcranial magnetic stimulation in the context of sleep apnea.
That's about it!

Hello everyone,,

I have a double degree in biomedical science/science (majors in genetics, medicinal chemistry and mathematics). The biological/biochemical components of my degree focused on human molecular genetics, immunology and molecular structure and design. I completed honours in the field of genetics and am currently hoping to pursue a PhD in epigenetics. I currently work as a science/maths tutor for VCE and undergraduate students.

BS in Biology, minor in chemistry, certificate (for what it's worth) in the Conceptual Foundations of Medicine. Currently researching during a gap year between undergrad and med-school. Without going into great detail...my previous research focused on the regulation of G-Protein Coupled Receptors in yeast as well as how ubiquitination can alter protein function. My current research focuses on the what is kinetically important for the removal of certain proteins from the membrane.

I'm not a student in Biology, but I do like to study Biology in my spare time. My main interests in the field of Biology are Biochemistry, Evolutionary Theory and Ecology.

Below, I have taken each of the issues in detail…..

There is a wave in the market due to which
all the‪#‎PGMEEaspirants are ending up
joining DAMS for their PG Preparations.
DAMS is Charging a Huge amount of
Rs.98,000, which is way more than other
coaching institutes (which is around 65,000)
. BUT the big question is does it worth to
give 35,000 extra for getting coaching in
DAMS...?

I joined DAMS in the October 2014 batch,
with the hope that by joining early the
course will be completed well in time before
upcoming May exams. The batch was
started on 19 th October 2014, with only 1.5
classes every week (Saturday half day, and
Sunday full day). By the end of December
only four subjects were covered during
which just 2-3 classes per week were taken.
Then came January when the classes were
increased to 3-4 per week. And now in
march they are scheduling classes almost
every day on the name of completing the
syllabus and more importantly to free the
space for new batches.

They Say in their Booklets “Student First @
DAMS”….now I understood what they
meant….student is the first to get
fooled….student is the first to be targeted to
make money….money is the only thing they
care about …when you go for admission they
very nicely tell you whole of schedule of
classes and the tests…but later, once the fee
is paid, they forget everything what they
have said…neither the classes are well
scheduled, nor the class tests are taken
regularly…
Its actually “Money First @ DAMS”

About class schedule :
In the starting they kept classes 2 days a
week…in initial 11 weeks only 4-5 small
subjects were covered, instead of 8-10
subjects….by this they were simply saving
money which they have to give to the
lecturers for each subject…they didn’t care
about the students….they also clubbed
Gautam Nagar Batch With Karol Bagh (to
save lecturer’s fee), due to which students
from Gautam Nagar have to come all the
way to Karol bagh wasting around 3-4
hours daily in travelling….
once the strength was enough, which is after
3 batches, means three months, they start
taking classes in exhaustive
schedules...they never though that the
syllabus should be completed well in time…
and now in march, they are bombarding us
with lectures... Lectures are kept almost
every day…at this time when we should have
been revising the things and preparing for
upcoming exams in May, we are running
every day to attend the exhaustive schedule
of classes…we are not even getting the time
to revise whatever taught in classes…
My question is - was the DAMS
management sleeping in October, November
and December ….? And now suddenly
somebody told them that exams are coming
in may so they woke up and got on their
toes to complete the syllabus before
exams….?
Just to save the fee which they have to pay
to faculty per subject, they covered only 4-5
smaller subjects in first 11 weeks….later in
january, when 3 batches were combined, it
became economical for them to pay for the
faculties….let students’ schedule go to
hell…..who cares….

New guy here. PhD in molecular genetics. Run an R&D department at a large biotech. Mostly developing tools for functional genomics research and next gen sequencing assays for preclinical diagnostics.

<h2>1. What is your area of expertise?</h2><p>My area of expertise is in the field of biology, specifically in molecular biology and genetics.</p><h2>2. What is your level of expertise?</h2><p>I have a Ph.D. in biology and have been working in this field for over 10 years. I am considered an expert in my field and have published several research papers.</p><h2>3. What kind of research do you do?</h2><p>I primarily focus on studying the genetic mechanisms of diseases, such as cancer, and developing potential treatments. I also conduct research on the effects of environmental factors on gene expression.</p><h2>4. What techniques do you use in your research?</h2><p>I use a variety of techniques in my research, including DNA sequencing, gene editing, and cell culture. I also utilize bioinformatics tools to analyze large datasets.</p><h2>5. How does your research impact society?</h2><p>My research has the potential to contribute to the development of new treatments for diseases, which can improve the quality of life for patients. It also helps us better understand the role of genetics in health and disease, leading to advancements in personalized medicine.</p>

1. What is your area of expertise?

My area of expertise is in the field of biology, specifically in molecular biology and genetics.

2. What is your level of expertise?

I have a Ph.D. in biology and have been working in this field for over 10 years. I am considered an expert in my field and have published several research papers.

3. What kind of research do you do?

I primarily focus on studying the genetic mechanisms of diseases, such as cancer, and developing potential treatments. I also conduct research on the effects of environmental factors on gene expression.

4. What techniques do you use in your research?

I use a variety of techniques in my research, including DNA sequencing, gene editing, and cell culture. I also utilize bioinformatics tools to analyze large datasets.

5. How does your research impact society?

My research has the potential to contribute to the development of new treatments for diseases, which can improve the quality of life for patients. It also helps us better understand the role of genetics in health and disease, leading to advancements in personalized medicine.