What's your area and level of expertise?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, this conversation is discussing the different areas of expertise and interests of biologists on the forum. There is a strong emphasis on neuroscience and medical-related research, but there are also experts in reproductive physiology, microbiology, genetics, and other fields. The conversation also touches on the importance of precision in communication and the diversity of opinions and feedback on the internet. The conversation includes a variety of individuals, from high school students interested in pursuing a career in biology to experienced professionals with advanced degrees and years of experience.
I haven't had a chance to welcome aboard all the new biology afficionados in a while. Glad to have so many new participants in here. :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
I am not an expert on anything in the biological sciences, however I am an amateur protozoologist and macro and microphotographer. I enjoy learning from others and sharing that which I have learned and photographed in the smaller world of nature. Attached is a sample of my work. Paramecium spp. @ 400X Zeiss Axiostar equipped with a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera attached to the trinocular port of the microscope head. Image is @ 7 megapixel.:smile:

As for my real area of expertise, I am an Air Launched Missile and Guided Missile Systems Technician. Of course this has no real relavence to biology does it?:rofl:

Attachments

• A00020 Paramecium.jpg
    A00020 Paramecium.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Ken Ramos said:
@ 400X Zeiss Axiostar equipped with a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera attached to the trinocular port of the microscope head.
Where do I get one of those? :biggrin:

I suppose I can order an Axiostar from Zeiss and find a compatible digital camera.

I am in second year of MSc(Hons). Biological Sciences , I am doing a dual degree with Computer Sciences.

BJ

Hi! I'm a newbie. Just entered my first year of grad school in neuroscience after finishing medschool. Still in my lab rotations and torn between deciding whether to go molecular or electrophysiological!

shruth said:
Hi! I'm a newbie. Just entered my first year of grad school in neuroscience after finishing medschool. Still in my lab rotations and torn between deciding whether to go molecular or electrophysiological!

so are you in the Md?Phd track or just a career change? Plan on going back to clinical medicine or full time research or both? congrats!

adrenaline said:
so are you in the Md?Phd track or just a career change? Plan on going back to clinical medicine or full time research or both? congrats!
Thank you epinephrine :-)
I'm done with my MD (both literally and figuratively) and am planning on a career as a full time neuroscientist.

shruth said:
That's great! Glad to have you on board! Have you seen the Mind & Brain forum here yet? We have enough neuroscientists around here to make it worth splitting the neuro stuff from the other biology. :biggrin: Well, after doing your clinical rotations in med school, you should be well-prepared to handle the long hours in the lab that grad school demands. :smile:

Experience Level

Hello everyone,
I am currently an undergrad student majoring in Biological Sciences and Chemistry. Although I may not have much experience in the field it is definately my passion. My specific field of interest is molecular genetics in prokaryotes. I am new to this site and hope to learn a great deal from others here. I am undecided as to what I want to pursue as my career. Looking into dental school but also open to graduate programs.

Last edited:
I have a GCSE(about the equivalent of your US education in biology at age 16 in an exam) hehe. I supose you don't have to have letters after your name to have a keen interest in any subject. Also did a course in general A level science(high score graduate level) as a precursur to a physics Degree which I've just started(well a maths course actually but same difference). Saying that I can put letters after my name cause of that cause it was a university qualification. Cool I want to see my bank manager be nice to me for a change:smile:
Ken Ramos said:
I am not an expert on anything in the biological sciences, however I am an amateur protozoologist and macro and microphotographer. I enjoy learning from others and sharing that which I have learned and photographed in the smaller world of nature. Attached is a sample of my work. Paramecium spp. @ 400X Zeiss Axiostar equipped with a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera attached to the trinocular port of the microscope head. Image is @ 7 megapixel.:smile:
As for my real area of expertise, I am an Air Launched Missile and Guided Missile Systems Technician. Of course this has no real relavence to biology does it?:rofl:
Oh I think it does when those things hit:biggrin:

Guns don't kill people Physics and biology do

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Elaborate, that does not make sense.

Schrodinger's Dog said:

Neither guns, nor physics nor biology kill people. It is people who kill people. It is the job of biology to figure out why they do so.

shruth said:
Neither guns, nor physics nor biology kill people. It is people who kill people. It is the job of biology to figure out why they do so.
I've never known that to be a part of biology.

Evo said:
I've never known that to be a part of biology.
It isn't. And biology does kill people: diseases :rolleyes:

Monique said:
It isn't.

And biology does kill people: diseases :rolleyes:

Don't forget toxins and toxicants:!) :biggrin: .

I was joking you know:smile:

I think blood being sucked out of you and your heart stopping has something to do with biology and physics.

I agree with Goldy Looking Chains view of guns anyway:

Guns don't kill people rappers do, I saw it in a documentary on BBC2:biggrin:

Hello everyone, I love this site. It has been a lifesaver when completely confused. I am finishing my last year towards a BS in Wildlife Biology. I am very interested in population viability analysis, predator-prey relationships, conservation biology, and all things dealing with management of wildlife populations.
Keep up the good work.

Hello all, here's my illustrated story! :smile: I studied Health Sciences in college. :shy: I would surely have preferred Pure Science :!) which would have led me to Physics and Engineering :biggrin: but this was unrealistic :frown: given my aversion :yuck: for math. :confused: So I obtained a diploma that was a pre-requisite to veterinary medicine :cool: and finished my DVM in 1980. As it turned out I didn't care much for this field :zzz: but I was too proud :redface: to drop out so I completed the program. I didn't go into practice but did government work :devil: in animal health and meat inspection instead. :uhh: After the house was paid off o:) I resigned from an easy, good-paying job and returned to school :tongue2: to do a BSc in Computing Science. :eek: Now I program, :rolleyes: I make a whole lot less money, :wink: and I enjoy it a lot more! :approve:

Last edited:
well I've got an Adv NVQ in general science, and lvl 2 FE award in life sciences, A level chemistry, and a general love of human biology. and i now work retail managment?

currently a student of veterinary medicine. which covers animal biology, bacteriology, biochemistry and basically anything to do with living things.

trinitrotoluene said:
currently a student of veterinary medicine. which covers animal biology, bacteriology, biochemistry and basically anything to do with living things.

Cool! Could you describe the different available career choices in verterinary medicine? My granddaughter is interested in going into the field and I wanted to become familiar. Just a link to a site would do fine.

I have over 10 years (not kidding) of experience providing Medical Illustration for publication with a Cancer Research and Care facility.
I supported such scientific and medical practices as:

Epidemiology,

Biology,

Genetics,

Medical Physics,

Cytology,

Pathology,

Neurolinquistics

Nursing,

Bone Marrow Transplantation,

Hormone Therapy,

Cancer Research,including Nutrition and Hospital Administration and funding.

My schooling includes 2nd year Biology (during the advent of auto-tutorials) 4 years of fine arts, and supplimental courses in Art as applied to Medicine... not to mention Digital Illustration foundation courses.

I found that I had to learn the intricate details of a study, research or methodology in order to illustrate them accurately so... I learned quite a lot! Its very cool stuff as you probably know!

Last edited:
I've been lurking the forums for close to a year now, but I rarely post. I am a senior biomedical engineering/biophysics student. My honors research was on adenoviral overexpression of transforming growth factor beta 3 for acceleration of incisional wound healing on rabbits (presented in May at the Wound Healing Society conference in AZ, and being prepared for publication, hopefully *crosses fingers*). I am currently working on developing a model of compartment syndrome (testing S.D. rats at the moment) following tourniquet application and validating a better/less variable assay for muscle viability than nitroblue tetrozolium as my summer internship project at the institute of surgical research. I hope to focus in the field of tissue engineering if I am accepted into a PhD program. My interests include scaffold design for gene delivery/tissue engineering uses, bioreactor design, novel methods for gene delivery, and mechanotransduction.

I absolutely adore PF and have learned so much from you all over the year! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Next year i will get my BSc degree in biomedical sciences. The most important subject in my major are:

molecular biology and genetics, human physiology, developmental biology, pharmacology,immunology and human pathology(next year)

After my bachelor i will submit for the MSc-program Drug Innovation.

Orefa said:
Hello all, here's my illustrated story! :smile: I studied Health Sciences in college. :shy: I would surely have preferred Pure Science :!) which would have led me to Physics and Engineering :biggrin: but this was unrealistic :frown: given my aversion :yuck: for math. :confused: So I obtained a diploma that was a pre-requisite to veterinary medicine :cool: and finished my DVM in 1980. As it turned out I didn't care much for this field :zzz: but I was too proud :redface: to drop out so I completed the program. I didn't go into practice but did government work :devil: in animal health and meat inspection instead. :uhh: After the house was paid off o:) I resigned from an easy, good-paying job and returned to school :tongue2: to do a BSc in Computing Science. :eek: Now I program, :rolleyes: I make a whole lot less money, :wink: and I enjoy it a lot more! :approve:
I've never seen anybody use every smilie in their post.

Another God said:
About to complete my Honours year in Molecular Biology, working with Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Bakers yeast) to study methylglyoxal production, calorie restriction and lifespan.
Update to my original post: Honours completed, now looking for work.

Anyone here looking to hire a molecular biologist interested in Ageing research?

Will work for elixar of youth.

or money... money's handy too.

This 28th of august, I'll start the beginning of my journey in pursuing a BS in Genetics and Biochemistry. Wish me luck. :) (wish it to me, damnit! I need to feel the luv! =P =D)

I'm a 3rd year undergraduate in Plant Biology at Cornell. I love all areas of biology, but my favorites are systematics/evolution and plant chemistry.

I'm a third year undergrad bioengineering student. I have a serious interest in the field of cardiac biomechanics, and I consider myself to be pretty well read up on that subject, even though I know I have a long way to go. Some of my other research interests are in circulation and neuroscience. Hoping to someday achieve an MD/PhD... we'll see how that goes :uhh:

I'm just starting biology as a student, but I study a lot on the side, mostly in exercise/nutrition biochem or whatever, but I want to get into cell bio for repairing for longevity and stuff.

I just finished high-school and I'm starting film school in July. I'm studying Direction and digital filmmaking, but I also plan to study production, screenwriting, and music production in order to be involved in every aspect of my films (like chaplin or woody allen).

But I love science; most of the time i don't spend creating or enjoying art, I spend studying science. I see art and science as two opposites in a circular spectrum: they are both complete opposites, but, at the same time, so close together that there's a gray area where they both meet.
The way I see it, science is the art of understanding our universe, while art is the science of creating a universe.

I'm really glad I found this forum. I've learned a lot from reading here, straight from experts, amateurs, and students. It's great to find a place where i can have discussions I couldn't normally have with my friends unless they were on acid (I was up 'till 5 AM the other night explaining to my buddy about the electromagnetic spectrum... it blew his mind :) )

Last edited:
moe, you should check out the thread in General Discussion (if you haven't already) about art and science. You might want to chime in on some of the ideas being tossed around about artists not being interested in the sciences. :wink:

A belated welcome to a whole bunch of people!

I work at a Pharmacy, have my CNA certificate and I want to be a Doctor so I am taking biology courses

My main interest in Biology was from the reproductive standpoint, but now that I'm married that's pretty much shot to hell. :grumpy:

Hell, I feel like a youngster. I'm a high school student just starting a physics course. I've learned more on this forum than from anybody else( excluding my parents. Ph.d's in molecular biology and neuroscience.). I looooove this stuff( pardon the teenage idiocy occasionally).

<h2>1. What is your area of expertise?</h2><p>My area of expertise is in the field of biology, specifically in molecular biology and genetics.</p><h2>2. What is your level of expertise?</h2><p>I have a Ph.D. in biology and have been working in this field for over 10 years. I am considered an expert in my field and have published several research papers.</p><h2>3. What kind of research do you do?</h2><p>I primarily focus on studying the genetic mechanisms of diseases, such as cancer, and developing potential treatments. I also conduct research on the effects of environmental factors on gene expression.</p><h2>4. What techniques do you use in your research?</h2><p>I use a variety of techniques in my research, including DNA sequencing, gene editing, and cell culture. I also utilize bioinformatics tools to analyze large datasets.</p><h2>5. How does your research impact society?</h2><p>My research has the potential to contribute to the development of new treatments for diseases, which can improve the quality of life for patients. It also helps us better understand the role of genetics in health and disease, leading to advancements in personalized medicine.</p>

1. What is your area of expertise?

My area of expertise is in the field of biology, specifically in molecular biology and genetics.

2. What is your level of expertise?

I have a Ph.D. in biology and have been working in this field for over 10 years. I am considered an expert in my field and have published several research papers.

3. What kind of research do you do?

I primarily focus on studying the genetic mechanisms of diseases, such as cancer, and developing potential treatments. I also conduct research on the effects of environmental factors on gene expression.

4. What techniques do you use in your research?

I use a variety of techniques in my research, including DNA sequencing, gene editing, and cell culture. I also utilize bioinformatics tools to analyze large datasets.

5. How does your research impact society?

My research has the potential to contribute to the development of new treatments for diseases, which can improve the quality of life for patients. It also helps us better understand the role of genetics in health and disease, leading to advancements in personalized medicine.