What could be causing weird JPEG display artifacts on my Windows 2000 computer?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the speaker is experiencing artifacts on JPEG images when viewing them in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. These artifacts appear randomly and do not change when scrolling, indicating that it is not a video card problem. They suspect it may be a problem with the JPEG decoder and suggest trying a different program to view the images. They also clarify that the artifacts only occur on JPEG images and not randomly on the screen. Another speaker jokingly blames the Microsoft empire for the issue.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm running Windows 2000 on an older computer. I'm getting these artifacts on images (see attached). It only occurs on JPEGs, nowhere else. It does *not* occur on screen, or even in GIFs.

They are randomly appearing - simply refreshing my browser is enough to get a different arrangement. But scrolling the screen does not alter them (eg. if I scroll a JPEG off-screen and back on, the artifacts act as if they are part of the image, remaining in-place.)

This is not a video card problem, as I have just replaced that.

Ever seen such a thing? Some sort of JPEG display malfunction?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
mezarashi said:
I would probably accuse the JPEG decoder. Try another program to view that JPEG.
Well, the program I'm viewing the JPG with is Internet Explorer. I just realized, it is IE-specific - it is NOT occurring in Firefox!

mezarashi said:
I also found your statement:

"JPEGs, nowhere else. It does not occur on screen"

a bit confusing. It doesn't occur on screen, but it occurs on JPEG. Where exactly is this "JPEG"?
I meant, it does not occur randomly all across my screen, as I would expect it would if it were a video card artifact. It occurs only in JPEG images on screen.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, the program I'm viewing the JPG with is Internet Explorer. I just realized, it is IE-specific - it is NOT occurring in Firefox!

See how evil the Microsoft empire is? ;)

DaveC426913, I think you solved your own problem.

What are weird JPEG display artifacts?

Weird JPEG display artifacts are visual distortions or abnormalities that appear in an image when it is saved or compressed as a JPEG file. These artifacts can range from small imperfections to significant changes in color, texture, or shape.

Why do weird JPEG display artifacts occur?

JPEG artifacts occur due to the lossy compression algorithm used when saving a file as a JPEG. This algorithm discards some of the original image data in order to reduce file size, resulting in a lower quality image with artifacts. Other factors that can contribute to artifacts include image quality settings, compression level, and the specific software or device used to view the image.

Can weird JPEG display artifacts be prevented?

While JPEG artifacts cannot be completely prevented, there are steps that can be taken to minimize their occurrence. This includes choosing a higher quality setting when saving an image as a JPEG, avoiding excessive compression, and using software specifically designed for JPEG compression. Additionally, using other file formats such as PNG or TIFF can help reduce the appearance of artifacts.

Can weird JPEG display artifacts be fixed?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely remove JPEG artifacts from an image. However, there are some software tools and techniques that can help reduce their visibility. These include using a noise reduction filter, adjusting the contrast and sharpness of the image, and resaving the image at a higher quality level. It is important to note that these methods may not completely eliminate artifacts and may also affect the overall quality of the image.

Are weird JPEG display artifacts harmful?

JPEG artifacts are not harmful in the traditional sense, as they do not pose any physical or health risks. However, they can affect the overall quality and accuracy of an image, which may be important in certain fields such as medical imaging or scientific research. Additionally, for professional photographers or graphic designers, artifacts can be undesirable and may negatively impact the perception of their work.