Why do dogs chase there own tails

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary: She only lifts one when she gets hot.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of dogs chasing their own tails and lifting one leg when laying on their back. Some speculate that this behavior is linked to intelligence and a possible time machine, while others suggest it is simply a physical limitation. Some suggest the behavior may be due to embarrassment or a way to cool down. One person jokes about dogs having penis envy and an Oedipal complex. Others mention their own dog's behavior of sleeping on their back with their legs up.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Why do dogs chase there own tails, and lift one leg when laying on there back ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some one use to have a quote on here that said, "If you chase your tail fast enough, you will alter time in such a manner as to go back to the origins of life."
I suspect its a time machine. Dogs are so much smarter then us.

hypatia said:
Some one use to have a quote on here that said, "If you chase your tail fast enough, you will alter time in such a manner as to go back to the origins of life."
I suspect its a time machine. Dogs are so much smarter then us.

Hmm, Benji did have some grey hairs that have gone now.

Can't remember who said this:
Ever seen yer dog chase his tail in a circle?
Why, if he ever caught it, that'd be a mircle!
But don't let folks think he's a stupid pup,
Jes' tell 'em he's a "watch-dog" windin' up.

LURCH said:
Can't remember who said this:

:rofl: :rofl:

The one dog that I have actually seen chase his tail does it with embarassment. We ask him to chase his tail and he'll do it after much coaxing. It seems as if he thinks it is silly but does it to entertain us. He will catch it after a few minutes. Then he forgets about it and would prefer to play fetch.

wolram said:
Why do dogs chase there own tails,
Why do men have nipples, who knows.
and lift one leg when laying on there back ?
Because they're physically incapable of doing it any other way?

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
Why do dogs chase there own tails, ?
Because they don:t have hands with fingers like humans...
and lift one leg when laying on there back
Because their body sweats after running around so much and doing so to cool themselves down a bit

Please show me a dog that sweats...

wolram said:
Why do dogs chase there own tails,
Penis envy.
and lift one leg when laying on there back ?
Oedipal complex.

I bet dogs themselfs wonder what to do with leg. I'm sure it has more to do with the hip design. My dog sleeps flat on her back 4 paws up.

What causes dogs to chase their own tails?

Dogs may chase their own tails for a variety of reasons, including boredom, curiosity, or a lack of mental stimulation. Some breeds are also more prone to tail chasing behavior, such as high-energy breeds like terriers.

Is tail chasing a normal behavior for dogs?

In most cases, tail chasing is a normal behavior for dogs. It can be a form of play or self-entertainment, similar to how humans might twirl their hair or fidget with their hands. However, if the behavior becomes excessive or is accompanied by other concerning behaviors, it may be a sign of a larger issue and should be discussed with a veterinarian.

Can tail chasing be harmful for dogs?

In most cases, tail chasing is harmless for dogs. However, if the behavior becomes excessive, it can lead to injuries such as skin irritation or trauma to the tail. It may also be a sign of underlying physical or psychological issues that should be addressed by a veterinarian.

How can I stop my dog from chasing its own tail?

If the behavior is concerning or causing harm to your dog, it's important to consult with a professional trainer or behaviorist to develop a plan to address the behavior. This may involve providing more mental and physical stimulation for your dog, redirecting their attention to other activities, or addressing any underlying medical issues.

Is there a way to tell if my dog's tail chasing is a sign of a larger issue?

If your dog's tail chasing is accompanied by other concerning behaviors, such as excessive barking, anxiety, or aggression, it may be a sign of a larger issue. It's important to consult with a veterinarian to rule out any underlying medical conditions or a professional trainer or behaviorist to address any underlying behavioral issues.