Improving PF: A Call for Member Input on Upgrades and Growth

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: keywords may carry more weight in a search query. Maybe thread-titles can be modified by them to avoid vague titles like "Please help me answer this question".Seriously love the site, but don't exploit the features enough to give much of a critique. The people are sound on the whole, and the forums are exhaustive and intuitive. Gold star... premium membership... top notch... prem-

How would you rate PF?

• Great

Votes: 54 72.0%
  • Good

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Average

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
me said:
How about a 'best of PF / hall of fame / FAQ-in-progress' section where we can collect those threads containing especially good explanations, discussions, answers to FAQs, etc. that are currently getting buried? Something like the Links section and GD's Classics thread. I imagine the benefits are pretty obvious. For quality control, perhaps members could nominate threads to be included in the section, but a staff member would have to approve them before being added. It could be a list of linked (possibly amended) thread titles organized just like the forums. ??
Is anyone else thinking about this again? I'd help out in any way I could. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be willing to help out too, though I'm not sure of what use I could be. The subjects I've covered most thoroughly rarely (if ever) seem to come up.

n fact if anyone gets their professor or teacher to sign up I'll give you premium membership

yeah, that would definitely be a plus, a next step for PF. We've got a couple of TAs/graduate students and high school teachers around here, and it would be great if we had more of them.

It just couldn't be better!

I love this site! It's one of the first forums I've been to and after checking out a few others it is still the best. I like the atmosphere and the people. The staff is right on top of things. The few times I've contacted them the replies were within a minute or two and the problem was fixed! People are generally helpful and friendly. There is room for all kinds of people here, from GD regulars like myself to hardcore physics gurus and everything inbetween. Good variety makes for interesting discussions.

It's hard to say what could be improved on. One thing I noticed is that when I'm writing a long post or one I'm considering for a long time I hit the post button and find out that I've been logged out. I hit back to retrieve the information and am told that the page has expired. That is a little upsetting. I guess I could type it out in another program and paste it into the post but I rarely do. Is there a feature that would allow us not to be disconnected if we are posting?

I remember when I was new to the site and forums in general I had a lot of questions. I've adapted to this site now and it is hard to think of ways to improve it. Perhaps newer members would have more insight in this area and could offer more ideas on how to streamline the forum? Just an idea.

Thanks for the site Greg and Warren! Huckleberry loves you.

Huckleberry said:
It's hard to say what could be improved on. One thing I noticed is that when I'm writing a long post or one I'm considering for a long time I hit the post button and find out that I've been logged out. I hit back to retrieve the information and am told that the page has expired. That is a little upsetting. I guess I could type it out in another program and paste it into the post but I rarely do. Is there a feature that would allow us not to be disconnected if we are posting?
Unless you don't want to for some reason, you can just check the Remember me box when you log in.

honestrosewater said:
How about a 'best of PF / hall of fame / FAQ-in-progress' section where we can collect those threads containing especially good explanations, discussions, answers to FAQs, etc. that are currently getting buried? Something like the Links section and GD's Classics thread. I imagine the benefits are pretty obvious. For quality control, perhaps members could nominate threads to be included in the section, but a staff member would have to approve them before being added. It could be a list of linked (possibly amended) thread titles organized just like the forums. ??

I'll add my name to the list of people who support this idea! I have been copying and saving several certifiably classy posts by ZapperZ, Space Tiger, et al to my harddrive to help my studies. A single place to find all the great posts would help me a lot.

I voted "great." I didn't think "good" really covered it. I like the emphasis on teaching, and I like it that someone always seems ready to pounce on you if you don't make sense or if you post inaccuracies. Sometimes it is a pain to take all the hits (right or wrong), but it sure does force one to write carefully.