Rotational equilibrium, subtending, and rotational acceleration

In summary, the lightweight pivoted bar in Fig. MC8 will be in rotational equilibrium when a 200 N force is applied at either point C or point E, or a combination of both. The angle subtended by the 10-point center-circle bull's eye on the official slow fire pistol target is very small, at approximately 0.0759 degrees or 0.00132 radians. Finally, to determine the average angular acceleration of a big electric motor, we can use the equation alpha=change in velocity / change in time, after converting revolutions into radians.
jakeowens
The lightweight pivoted bar in Fig. MC8 will be in rotational equilibrium when a 200 N force acts
none of these
up at C only
down at E or up at C
up at B
down at D

(see attatched picture)

So the net force has to be 0, i wasnt exactly sure how to do this one because i didnt know the lengths of anything. But i just assumed the distance at point A to be 1, and point G to be 1. so B would be 2/3, C 1/3, D 0, E 1/3, and F 2/3. So after that i multiplied the forces by their respective distances, and came up with the force on the right hand side being 66.66666 N more thaen the left side, in a upward direction. So, if you had 200N force you could put it either up at C or down at E to balance that out, since 1/3 of 200N is 66.6666N, right?

The 10-point center-circle bull's eye on the official slow fire pistol target is 7/8 in. in diameter. What angle does it subtend as seen by a shooter 55 ft away?
radians?
degrees?

I have no idea how to do this problem. We've done nothing like this in class, and the book is really no help. I've tried reading the whole chapter and there's nothing that i found to help me. I just need to get pointed in the right direction. Is it just asking what the measure of the angle is if it's a big circle with a radius of 55ft, and it wants to know the measure of that 7/8 of an inch?

So on that tangent, i found the circumference of the circle to be 345.575 ft, and then divided the length of the bullseye by that to find out what percentage of the whole circle that bullseye is. 0.0729ft/345.575ft=2.11e-4%. so after that, i just multiplied that % by 360 degrees, giving me 0.0759 degrees, and also multiplied that % by 2pi, to give me 0.00132 radians.

Is that what the question is asking? did i screw up on my answer in radians? I am not sure if my radians answer is correct.

36 seconds after the start button is pressed on a big electric motor, its shaft is whirling around at 480 rev/s. Determine its average angular acceleration.
Answer: rad/s2.

For this one, I used the equation alpha=change in velocity / change in time.

So, average angular acceleration = 480*2pi radians / 36 seconds right? this gives me an answer of 83.78 radians/s. Am i right here?

Attachments

• 8-MC1.gif
    8-MC1.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
The lightweight pivoted bar in Fig. MC8 will be in rotational equilibrium when a 200 N force acts
none of these
up at C only
down at E or up at C
up at B
down at D
(see attatched picture)
I would treat each letter as one unit away from each other letter, so distance between A and B is 1, A and C is 2, etc. From there I would just list the CCW torques and their distances, and then the clockwise torques and their distances, and do the same for the CW distances.

The 10-point center-circle bull's eye on the official slow fire pistol target is 7/8 in. in diameter. What angle does it subtend as seen by a shooter 55 ft away?
It's asking you that if your eye was a point 55ft away from that, then how big of an angle would your eye sweep to see all of it? Its a really really small angle. Pretty much you are 55 ft away from a 7/8 in. object, how big is the angle made, just draw a triangle.

For this one, I used the equation alpha=change in velocity / change in time.
Thats the correct way to do it, but rev/s is not an angualr velocity but a frequency. Convert it to a velocity by converting revolutions into radians, and you should be good.

Yes, you are correct. The average angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity (480 rev/s) by the change in time (36 seconds), and converting it to radians per second squared by multiplying by 2pi. This gives an average angular acceleration of 83.78 radians/s^2. Good job!

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium refers to the state in which an object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant rate. This occurs when the sum of all the torques acting on the object is equal to zero. In other words, there is no net rotational force acting on the object.

2. How is rotational equilibrium different from translational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium refers to the balance of rotational forces or torques, while translational equilibrium refers to the balance of linear forces. An object in rotational equilibrium may still be moving in a straight line, but it is not rotating. Similarly, an object in translational equilibrium may still be rotating, but it is not moving in a straight line.

3. What does the term "subtending" mean in relation to rotational motion?

Subtending refers to the angle formed between two points on a rotating object, with the center of rotation as the vertex. This angle can be used to measure the distance traveled by the object or to calculate its angular velocity.

4. What is the relationship between rotational acceleration and torque?

Rotational acceleration is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that the greater the torque applied, the greater the rotational acceleration will be, and the greater the moment of inertia, the smaller the rotational acceleration will be.

5. How do you calculate rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = τ/I, where α is the rotational acceleration in radians per second squared, τ is the torque in newton-meters, and I is the moment of inertia in kilograms per square meter.