Finding Graphite Plates to Build a Fuel Cell

In summary, the price of graphite plates varies depending on size, thickness, quality, and where they are purchased. Alternatively, graphite foil can be used as a substitute for graphite plates, as it is a thin sheet of pressed graphite that is easier to work with. This can be purchased from McMaster-Carr, with the part number 95715K63.
P-man
How much are graphite plates? I need them to build my fuel cell.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The price would of course depend on the size, thickness, [quality], and where you buy the plates.
As a substitute, when I build my fuel cell a little while back, I used "graphite foil" instead of graphite plates. What that is, is very thin graphite sheets that are pressed together under a lot of pressure to make a soft piece of graphite.
I don't remember if there was a price advantage to this, but it made working with it easier since I didnt have access to the tools I would have needed to machine the solid graphite plates, I instead used the much solfter "graphite foil", which I could peal away layers and work with easier.

Cool. Where do I get this stuff?

Thanks a lot.

1. Where can I find graphite plates to build a fuel cell?

Graphite plates can be found at most specialty chemical supply stores or online through scientific supply websites. They can also be purchased from manufacturers that specialize in fuel cell components.

2. What is the cost of graphite plates for a fuel cell?

The cost of graphite plates can vary depending on the size and quality. On average, they can range from $50 to $100 per plate. It is important to research and compare prices from different suppliers to find the best deal.

3. How do I know which type of graphite plate is best for my fuel cell?

There are different types of graphite plates available, including monolithic, bipolar, and flow field plates. The best type for your fuel cell will depend on factors such as the desired power output, operating temperature, and chemical compatibility. It is recommended to consult with a fuel cell expert to determine the best type of graphite plate for your specific application.

4. Can I use other materials besides graphite for my fuel cell plates?

Graphite is the most commonly used material for fuel cell plates due to its high electrical conductivity, chemical resistance, and stability at high temperatures. However, other materials such as stainless steel or titanium can also be used for specific applications.

5. How do I properly handle and store graphite plates for my fuel cell?

Graphite plates should be handled with care to avoid any damage or contamination. They should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and any corrosive substances. It is also important to avoid any physical impact or excessive pressure on the plates to prevent cracking or warping.