Why is the limit 2025? a simple plug and chug limit gone wrong

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a given expression as (x,y) approaches (5,-2). The person initially tries to solve by plugging in specific values for x and y, but realizes their mistake and corrects it, leading to the correct answer of 2025. The other person provides an analogy to explain the mistake made in the first attempt.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone i have the following prlbem:
lim (x,y)->(5,-2) (x^5+4x^3y-5xy^2);

So i let y be fixed at 0 and let x equal 5, and i got 5^5 which is 3125, if i let 0, and y be -2 i get 0. Doesn't this mean the limit doesn't exist? but it says its 2025, ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just plug in 5 for each x value and -2 for each y value, you get 2025. You were doing something completely different.

ohhh i did that before and i messed up on multipcation thank u

What you're doing in your first post is like saying that if you have:

[tex]\lim _{x \to 7} x^2[/tex]

and you plug in x = 3 to get 9 and plug in x = 10 to get 100, then the limit doesn't exist.

1. Why is the limit set at 2025?

The limit of 2025 is a commonly used value in mathematical equations and calculations. It is often used as a placeholder value or as a way to simplify calculations. In some cases, it may also be based on specific constraints or variables in a given scenario.

2. What does "plug and chug" mean in relation to the limit of 2025?

"Plug and chug" is a colloquial term for using a specific value, such as 2025, in a mathematical equation or formula. It implies that the value can be easily substituted into the equation to obtain a solution without much additional effort or calculation.

3. Is the limit of 2025 always accurate?

The accuracy of the limit of 2025 depends on the context in which it is being used. In some cases, it may be an exact value based on specific criteria or constraints. In other cases, it may be an approximation or estimate that can vary in accuracy.

4. How does the limit of 2025 relate to real-world applications?

The limit of 2025 may not have a direct correlation to real-world applications, as it is often used as a simplified value in mathematical equations. However, it can be used to represent a specific time frame, quantity, or threshold in certain scenarios.

5. Can the limit of 2025 be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the limit of 2025 can be changed or adjusted depending on the needs and requirements of a given situation. It is not a fixed value and can be modified based on the variables and parameters involved in a particular calculation or scenario.