Calculating Human Lifespan with Avagadro's Number: A Quick Chemistry Question

• Thread starter extraordinarygirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, to calculate the number of years it would take to accumulate 1 mole of heartbeats, you need to convert the rate of heartbeats per minute to heartbeats per year. This can be done by multiplying the number of minutes in an hour, hours in a day, and days in a year. Then, to solve for the unknown variable, you can set up a proportion using the known value of Avogadro's number and the calculated rate of heartbeats per year. Cross multiplying will give you the answer of 1.9 x 10^16 years.
extraordinarygirl
A typical adult human heart beats an average of 60 times per minute. If you were allotted a mole of heartbeats, how long in years could you expect to live? You may assume each year has 365 days.

I know that I need to use the Avagadro's number ... 6.02 x 10^23, but I am not sure how to formulate a proportion to solve for it. I do know the answer, which is 1.9 x 10^16 years. If anyone could just help me understand how to solve for the answer you would be a great help! :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
To do this, you need to convert heat beats per minute, into heat beat per year.
You know that there are 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, and (for the purposes of this problem), 365 days in a year.

You are looking for the number of years it would take someone to accumlate 1 mol of heat beats (6.022 E23) at athe rate you just found earlier.

Alright, so that would be 31536000 heart beats per year.
And then I would just put it into a proportion.
1 mol - 6.02 x 10 ^23
x - 31536000

and cross multiply!
Thanks, I guess that was an easier question than I was making it out to be!

What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are converted into different substances with different properties. During a chemical reaction, bonds between atoms are broken and new bonds are formed, resulting in a change in the chemical composition of the substances involved.

What is the difference between a physical and chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape, size, or state of matter, without altering its chemical composition. A chemical change, on the other hand, results in the formation of new substances with different chemical properties.

What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. A compound is a substance made up of two or more elements chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio. Compounds have properties that are different from the elements they are made of.

What is the periodic table?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all known chemical elements, organized by their atomic number, electron configuration, and chemical properties. It is used to predict the properties of elements and to determine relationships between them.

What is the law of conservation of mass?

The law of conservation of mass states that in a closed system, mass cannot be created or destroyed. This means that in a chemical reaction, the total mass of the reactants must equal the total mass of the products.