Is the Concept of a Positron Traveling Backwards in Time Still Accepted in QED?

• Thread starter QueenFisher
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of a positron being an electron moving backwards in time is still generally accepted, as it is taught in the context of Feynman diagrams and has applications in the 'real' world. However, some physicists now prefer to talk about electrons and positrons all moving forward in time. QED is also CT invariant, meaning that scattering experiments would be identical if time was reversed and all electrons became positrons.
QueenFisher
i read QED the other day, and was wondering, is the idea that a positron is an electron traveling backwards in time still generally accepted?? cos i know he gave the lectures a while back, and lots of things have changed since then, but it stuck me as an interesting concept.

p.s. i may have put this in the wrong forum again. sorry if i did.:blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
is it only in the context of Feynamn diagrams? is it because they use space and time? or can you use it in the 'real' world as well?

Hi guys,

The statement that particles traveling backwards in time correspond to antiparticles traveling forwards in time is a valid one. In fact, some of the greats, like Feynman, preferred the evocative language of electrons moving forward and backward in time, but mostly now days people prefer to talk about electrons and positrons all moving forward in time. The two are equivalent, however.

Last edited:
It's definitely not a concept I use everyday as an engineer, and I have been away from academia for awhile, so I am not familiar with what is being taught in the advanced physics courses.

Thanks, Physics Monkey!

QED is not only CPT invariant, but also CT invariant. This means that scattering experiments (for example) are identical if time "flew" backwards and all electrons became positrons at the same time.

Daniel.

1. What is an electron-positron question?

An electron-positron question is a theoretical question in physics that explores the nature of matter and antimatter. It involves the interactions between electrons and their antiparticles, positrons, and how they behave in various conditions.

2. How are electrons and positrons related?

Electrons and positrons are considered antiparticles of each other, meaning they have the same mass and spin but opposite electric charge. When an electron and positron collide, they can annihilate each other and produce energy in the form of gamma rays.

3. What is the significance of studying electron-positron interactions?

Studying electron-positron interactions can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as quantum mechanics and the Standard Model. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and particle accelerators.

4. Can electrons and positrons exist in the same place at the same time?

No, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, two particles cannot occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that an electron and positron cannot exist in the same place at the same time with the same energy and spin.

5. How are electron-positron pairs created?

Electron-positron pairs can be created through various processes, such as pair production in which a high-energy photon decays into an electron and a positron. They can also be created in particle accelerators, where high-energy collisions can produce these particles.