Firefly and Science: Exploring the Thin Line Between Nerds and Non-Nerds

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of the TV show "Firefly" and its accompanying movie "Serenity". The participants discuss their plans to have a marathon of the show, and express their disappointment that it was cancelled after only one season. They also mention the concept of roleplaying and having kinky space-cowboy sex, and joke about the definition of a "nerd". Some participants have not heard of the show, but are intrigued by its premise and decide to watch it. The conversation also touches upon the availability of the movie and the accuracy of science in the show. Overall, the participants express their
tribdog
shut up

I'm about to sit down and have a "Firefly" marathon. I've got the pilot, 13 episodes and "Serenity" the movie on my hard drive. It really is a sin that this show was canceled after one season.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of it. :redface:

Not necessarily.

However, posting such information on a public forum to determine if such an action confirms your thoughts of being a nerd...hmmm :rolleyes:

Evo said:
I've never heard of it. :redface:
never heard of it? it's awesome. cowboys in space

tribdog said:
I just looked it up. It was on Fox, that explains why I never heard of it.

I liked the first season of LEXX. Then they hurt LEXX and the show started to suck. :grumpy:

Tribdog and Firefly? There goes another household appliance up in flames.

Yes.

Doesn't matter. We've already established that you're a nerd for many other reasons. Why do you keep wanting us to remind you? Are you nerd-insecure tribdog?

That doesn't make you a nerd. Why, my boyfriend and I have a Firefly marathon planned for tomorrow afternoon, and we're both...

Uhh. Never mind.

going to roleplay and have kinky space-cowboy sex with costumes?

tribdog said:
shut up
I'm about to sit down and have a "Firefly" marathon. I've got the pilot, 13 episodes and "Serenity" the movie on my hard drive. It really is a sin that this show was canceled after one season.

Its such an awesome series. I wacthed the whole run before watching serenity. it really shouldn't work, when you think about the premise and set up, it shouldn't be that good. But it really is. Fantastic stuff

"Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me"

Yeah, congrats, its official you're a nerd.

tribdog said:

It shouldn't be so awesome. But it is. I'm reposting my thoughts. Its friday night, yeah, i think.

I wouldn't call it "cowboys in space". It seems to take off from the American Civil War. The time period is right, but the feel is different.

tribdog said:
shut up
Yes that does make you a Nerd but atleast Nerds are smart :cool:

Last edited:
Smurf said:
going to roleplay and have kinky space-cowboy sex with costumes?

No that would make him a LARPer, and that is a problem. Being a nerd, and being one on this bord, is not a problem.

I never heard of it either, and since Evo and I are the coolest people here, it must be that having heard of the show Firefly is what makes you a nerd. :tongue: :biggrin:

tribdog said:
shut up
:rolleyes: :zzz:
Huhh, we all want to have that "attention from others" right ?
Didn't you ever hear of this little remark tribdog : "L'enfer, c'est les autres !" ? Do not come telling that you do not speak French.
marlon:zzz: :zzz:

How did you get Serenity? It's still in the theaters.

Entropy said:
he did not, he just wants some straight-guy-lovin'

that's all

marlon

Entropy said:

Well you see, people have their ways. Especially tribdog. He's very...well...you know...

And its not theaters where I am. I was pissed. I was going to go see it, and the day I wanted to go, was the day they pulled it. So I had no choice. To the intarweb.

franznietzsche said:
Well you see, people have their ways. Especially tribdog. He's very...well...you know...
:confused:

No need to be doin' all this buttkissin'

marlon

marlon said:
:confused:
No need to be doin' all this buttkissin'
marlon

:!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!)

Just don't ask why.

tribdog said:
No, it doesn't make you a nerd. I watched it on SciFi. Pretty cool!

For those who haven't heard about Joss Whedon's masterpiece -
http://www.scifispace.com/html/firefly.php

http://www.fireflyfans.net/ - "Serenity" DVD Release Date: December 20, 2005

http://serenitymovie.com/main_site.html

So trib, you must have a bootlegged version. :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
tribdog said:
shut up
Having never watched TV, I have no idea what you're talking about. It's a moot point, anyway. Posting on a physics forum on a Friday night makes you a nerd anyway. I think Jim Croce or somebody wrote a song about the souls of guys like you ("Another Friday Night and I Ain't Got No Body")

It was "Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody" by Sam Cooke. I like that song

Evo said:
It was "Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody" by Sam Cooke. I like that song
Huh! It's only 4:00 PM here.

Evo said:

must...resist...urge...joke...at...evo...

The line between nerd and not-nerd is kinda fuzzy now-a-days since a lot of people play video games. I went to a Firefly marathon after seeing Serenity, actually. Great show and movie, though the science is as sound as a sinking ship.

Smasherman said:
The line between nerd and not-nerd is kinda fuzzy now-a-days since a lot of people play video games. I went to a Firefly marathon after seeing Serenity, actually. Great show and movie, though the science is as sound as a sinking ship.

And that is something new how?

At least there is no faster-than-light travel.

franznietzsche said:
must...resist...urge...joke...at...evo...
:mad: :grumpy: :devil:

Hey I know what I can do since I'm all alone. I can start randomly banning people. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I liked the first season of LEXX. Then they hurt LEXX and the show started to suck. :grumpy:

I loved LEXX! But it's not on at all any more...:frown:

And yes Trib, you're a nerd. At least a geek if nothing else.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.:wink:

Smasherman said:
you can't hear the explosions in space

1. What is the main focus of "Firefly and Science: Exploring the Thin Line Between Nerds and Non-Nerds"?

The main focus of "Firefly and Science: Exploring the Thin Line Between Nerds and Non-Nerds" is to examine the intersection between science and popular culture, specifically through the lens of the TV show "Firefly". The book explores how the show incorporates scientific concepts and themes, and how it has influenced and been influenced by the science fiction genre.

2. How does "Firefly and Science" appeal to both nerds and non-nerds?

"Firefly and Science" appeals to both nerds and non-nerds by presenting scientific concepts in an accessible and entertaining way. The book uses examples and references from "Firefly" to make the science relatable and interesting to all readers, regardless of their level of scientific knowledge or interest.

3. What scientific topics are discussed in "Firefly and Science"?

Some of the scientific topics discussed in "Firefly and Science" include space travel, terraforming, genetics, artificial intelligence, and the ethics of scientific advancements. The book also explores the role of science in society and how it is portrayed in popular media.

4. How does "Firefly and Science" analyze the portrayal of science in popular culture?

"Firefly and Science" analyzes the portrayal of science in popular culture by examining how "Firefly" and other science fiction shows and movies present and explore scientific concepts. The book also discusses the impact of these portrayals on public perception and understanding of science.

5. Who would benefit from reading "Firefly and Science"?

Anyone with an interest in science, popular culture, or the intersection of the two would benefit from reading "Firefly and Science". The book is accessible to both scientists and non-scientists, and offers a unique perspective on how science is represented in media and its impact on society.