What Is the Maximum Inclination for a Cylinder to Roll Without Slipping?

This is because the friction force is directly proportional to the normal force, which is the same for both the block and the cylinder. Therefore, the maximum angle of inclination for the cylinder to roll without slipping is the same as the angle at which the block begins to slide.
Punchlinegirl
A block of a certain material begins to slide on an inclined plane when the plane is inclined to an angle of 14.57°. If a solid cyclinder is fashioned from the same material, what will be the maximum angle at which it will roll without slipping on the plane?

I really have no idea where to start on this problem since the only given is the angle. I know that the moment of inertia of a cylinder is (1/2)MR^2 if that's needed at all. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
In what case does the cylinder slip (hint: friction)?
Another hint: total acceleration is the same as the tangential acceleration if there's no slipping.

(Would you happen to have the correct answer?)

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with a similar problem.

I tried finding the coeff of friction; got an arctan14.7 ...

Then I set up the dynamics equations of the cylinder, taking the center of mass as the center of rotation; Wx - friction = ma

And then I put in no slipping condition i.e a = (angular acceleration) X R.

I substitude (angular acceleration) with the relevant expression using Newton's second law in angular form.

I solve and then I get a very unlikely value of 89 degrees. Where am I wrong.

Kenny Lee said:
I'm having trouble with a similar problem.
I tried finding the coeff of friction; got an arctan14.7 ...
According to my calculations you should get a plain tan (not arctan).

Then I set up the dynamics equations of the cylinder, taking the center of mass as the center of rotation; Wx - friction = ma
And then I put in no slipping condition i.e a = (angular acceleration) X R.
I substitude (angular acceleration) with the relevant expression using Newton's second law in angular form.
I solve and then I get a very unlikely value of 89 degrees. Where am I wrong.
The rest sounds, if I understood everything correctly, fine.

Oh right. Yea, tan 14.7 degrees. Thanks.
okay now i get 38 degrees... dat bout right?

I see how to do it now. Thank you

Kenny Lee said:
Oh right. Yea, tan 14.7 degrees. Thanks.
okay now i get 38 degrees... dat bout right?
If you mean the problem in this thread (with the angle actually being 14.57), I get the same answer.

Punchlinegirl said:
I see how to do it now. Thank you
No problem :smile:.

romured question

Punchlinegirl said:
A block of a certain material begins to slide on an inclined plane when the plane is inclined to an angle of 14.57°. If a solid cyclinder is fashioned from the same material, what will be the maximum angle at which it will roll without slipping on the plane?
I really have no idea where to start on this problem since the only given is the angle. I know that the moment of inertia of a cylinder is (1/2)MR^2 if that's needed at all. Any hints?
i think that it's a romured question in which the answer is 14.57 degree because friction doesn't pertain to shape of the block or how much is the surface of that
i think the answer is that

1. What is rolling without slipping?

Rolling without slipping is a type of motion where an object, such as a wheel or ball, moves forward while also rotating about its axis without sliding or slipping.

2. How is rolling without slipping different from rolling with slipping?

The main difference between rolling without slipping and rolling with slipping is that in rolling without slipping, the point of contact between the object and the surface remains at rest relative to the surface, while in rolling with slipping, the point of contact slides or slips on the surface.

3. What are some examples of objects that roll without slipping?

Some examples of objects that roll without slipping include wheels on a car, a ball rolling down a ramp, and a rolling pin moving across a surface.

4. What are the conditions for rolling without slipping to occur?

In order for an object to roll without slipping, there must be sufficient friction between the object and the surface, the object must have a fixed axis of rotation, and the object must not experience any external forces that would cause it to slide or slip.

5. Why is rolling without slipping important in real-world applications?

Rolling without slipping is important in many real-world applications because it allows for efficient and smooth motion, as well as providing stability and control. It is also a common phenomenon in nature, such as in the movement of animals and the rotation of planets.