Atheist Prof Debates Faith with Student: What Side Are You On?

• Thread starter Zygotic Embryo
  • Start date
In summary, the professor's philosophical premise that science disproves God is flawed because science can't even explain thought.
Zygotic Embryo
An Atheist Professor of philosophy speaks to his class on the problem science has with God, The Almighty.

He asks one of his new students to stand and...

Prof: So you believe in God?

Student: Absolutely, sir.

Prof: Is God good?

Student: Sure.

Prof: Is God all-powerful?

Student: Yes.

Prof: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to God to
heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill.
But God didn't. How is this God good then? Hmm?

(Student is silent.)

Prof: You can't answer, can you? Let's start again, young fella. Is
God good?

Prof: Is Satan good?

Student: No.

Prof: Where does Satan come from?

Student: From...God...

Prof: That's right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Prof: Evil is everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything.
Correct?

Prof: So who created evil?

(Student does not answer.)

Prof: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these
terrible things exist in the world, don't they?

Student: Yes, sir.

Prof: So, who created them?

(Student has no answer.)

Prof: Science says you have 5 senses you use to identify and
observe the world around you. Tell me, son...Have you ever seen
God?

Student: No, sir.

Prof: Tell us if you have ever heard your God?

Student: No, sir.

Prof: Have you ever felt your God, tasted your God, or smelled your God? Have you ever had any sensory perception of God for that matter?

Student: No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.

Prof: Yet you still believe in Him?

Prof: According to empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol,
cience says your GOD doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?
Student: Nothing. I only have my faith.

Prof: Yes. Faith. And that is the problem science has.

Student: Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Prof: Yes.

Student: And is there such a thing as cold?

Prof: Yes.

Student: No sir. There isn't.

(The lecture theatre becomes very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student: Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don't have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that.There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.

(There is pin-drop silence in the lecture theatre.)

Student: What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Prof: Yes. What is night if there isn't darkness?

Student: You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of
something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light,
flashing light... But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? In reality, darkness isn't.
If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't
you?

Prof: So what is the point you are making, young man?

Student: Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Prof: Flawed? Can you explain how?

Student: Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism but man has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Prof: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, then yes, of course I do.

Student: Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shakes his head with a smile, beginning to realize
where the argument is going.)

Student: Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavour, are you not teaching your own opinion, sir? Are you not a preacher rather than a scientist?

(The class is in uproar)

Student: Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor's brain?

(The class breaks out into laughter)

Student: Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's brain, felt it, touched or smelled it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

(The room is silent. The professor stares at the student, his face
unfathomable.)

Prof: I guess you'll have to take them on faith, son.

Student : That is it, sir... The link between man & God is FAITH.
That is all that keeps things moving & alive

Physics news on Phys.org
"Student: Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution"This is where the student is completely wrong though.

There is a good deal wrong with this misunderstanding of science, thus, locked.

1. What is the purpose of this debate between an atheist professor and a student about faith?

The purpose of this debate is to explore and discuss different perspectives on the topic of faith and religion. It allows for an open and intellectual exchange of ideas and encourages critical thinking and reflection.

2. Who typically wins these debates, the atheist or the religious believer?

There is no clear winner in these debates as it ultimately depends on the individual's personal beliefs and perspectives. Both sides may offer compelling arguments and it is up to the audience to critically evaluate and form their own opinions.

3. What are some common arguments presented by the atheist professor against faith?

Some common arguments presented by atheists against faith include the lack of tangible evidence for the existence of a higher power, the problem of evil and suffering in the world, and the belief that religion is a man-made construct.

4. How does the student defend their belief in the existence of a higher power during the debate?

The student may defend their belief by citing personal experiences, religious texts, and philosophical arguments such as the teleological or cosmological argument. They may also emphasize the role of faith and personal conviction in their belief.

5. What can we learn from this debate between an atheist professor and a student about faith?

This debate can serve as a learning opportunity for both the participants and the audience. It can help individuals to better understand and respect different perspectives on faith and religion, and to engage in constructive and respectful dialogue about these complex and deeply personal topics.