New mental disorder worse than autism discovered

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disorder
In summary: Childhood is a syndrome which has only recently begun to receive serious attention from clinicians. The syndrome itself, however, is not at all recent. As early as the 8th century, the Persian historian Kidnom made references to "short, noisy creatures," who may well have been what we now call "children." The treatment of children, however, was unknown until this century, when so-called "child psychologists" and "child psychiatrists" became common. Despite this history of clinical neglect, it has been estimated that well over half of all Americans alive today have experienced childhood directly (Suess, 1983). In fact, the actual numbers are probably much higher, since these data are based on self-reports which may be subject to social des
PIT2
Childhood is a syndrome which has only recently begun to receive serious attention from clinicians. The syndrome itself, however, is not at all recent. As early as the 8th century, the Persian historian Kidnom made references to "short, noisy creatures," who may well have been what we now call "children." The treatment of children, however, was unknown until this century, when so-called "child psychologists" and "child psychiatrists" became common. Despite this history of clinical neglect, it has been estimated that well over half of all Americans alive today have experienced childhood directly (Suess, 1983). In fact, the actual numbers are probably much higher, since these data are based on self-reports which may be subject to social desirability biases and retrospective distortion.

http://www.pshrink.com/humor/Childhood.html [Broken]

I think many children suffer from this disease and powerful pills should be given to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot help noticing that part of the URL is 'humor'. As a related side note, the is already several mental disorders that are worse than autism, independent on how you define 'worse'.

Moridin said:
I cannot help noticing that part of the URL is 'humor'.
Maybe the guy placed it in the wrong section of his website?

PIT2 said:
Maybe the guy placed it in the wrong section of his website?

You mean he should of placed it in the creditable research section as this patently is serious and in no way humour. I agree, this debilitating and embarrassing ailment has been too long neglected, the sooner we can stop this menace from infecting society with it's insidious noise pollution, bickering, childish pleas for attention and general obnoxious behaviour the better.

I pray that they find a cure soon before more people are subject to this ailment, I know one sub group of people that appear to be affected by this crippling illness to some degree their whole life, I believe they're called men, although the symptoms tend to be more subtle than in the infant syndrome :smile:

PIT2 said:
I think many children suffer from this disease and powerful pills should be given to them.

That's all very well but is it treating the underlying cause? I hear it's a sexually transmitted disease, whilst there's no hope for those already born with the condition,there are preventative measures, and there cheap and effective too.

Those who already have the condition, I think would be better served by some sort of cognitive therapy, perhaps over an 18 year period? With medication only for the most difficult or incorrigible cases or those who don't respond to behavioural psychological techniques such as groundings, denial of privileges, no pudding 'til you've eaten your greens, and the occasional chore punishment.

Last edited:

1. What is this new mental disorder?

This new mental disorder is called "Neurodevelopmental Disorder Spectrum" (NDS) and it has been recently discovered by researchers.

2. How is NDS different from autism?

NDS is different from autism in terms of its symptoms and diagnostic criteria. It includes a wider range of symptoms and affects individuals in varying degrees of severity.

3. What are the common symptoms of NDS?

The common symptoms of NDS include difficulties with social interactions, communication, and repetitive behaviors. It may also include cognitive and motor impairments.

4. Is NDS more severe than autism?

It is difficult to determine if NDS is more severe than autism as it affects individuals differently. Some individuals with NDS may have more severe symptoms compared to others with autism, and vice versa.

5. Is there a cure for NDS?

As a newly discovered disorder, there is currently no known cure for NDS. However, early intervention and therapy can help manage the symptoms and improve the quality of life for individuals with NDS.