Centripetal force and friction

In summary: In an inertial frame of reference, we only need to consider the centripetal force. So, in summary, passengers remain stuck to the wall of the cylinder because the normal force exerted by the wall equals the centripetal force needed to keep them in circular motion. This can be calculated by equating the gravitational force to the frictional force, which is represented by the coefficient of friction times the normal force. The minimum speed required for this to happen can be found using the equation for centripetal acceleration, which equals the normal force divided by the radius of the cylinder.
sheepy

Homework Statement

In a carnival ride, passengers stand with their backs against the wall of a cylinder. The cylinder is set into rotation and the floor is lowered away from the passengers, but they remain stuck against the wall of the cylinder. For a cylinder with 2m radius, what is the minimum speed of that passengers can have fr this to happen if the coefficient of friction between the passengers and the wall is 0.25.

Homework Equations

[tex]\mu[/tex]= Friction/normal force
Centripetal force= (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how I would go about the equation if I'm not given the mass of the passenger. Because I can't find the friction force through the normal force (because I don't have mass). Is there another way to approach it?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass cancels out once you equate the two forces (frictional and gravitational).

centripetal acceleration = mu*g

you can equate that to V^2/R I think.

this is a new topic for me.

No. That is incorrect. mu*g does not describe any force in this problem, while V^2/R is the definition of centripetal acceleration.

I already provided the answer to the original question.

Last edited:
i still don't get what the equation should be.
at a certain point i thought it was
w=centripetal force
but where does the friction come into play?
or.. is friction = centripetal?

m(9.81) = (mv^2/2)(0.25)

?

like 8.86

yeah that's what i thought? except why did the question mention friction if we didn't need it?

you did need it...

mu = Friction/normal force
Centripetal force= (mv^2)/r

gravitational force = frictional force therefore

mg =[tex]\mu[/tex]*normal force

centripetal must be equal to normal therefore rearranging the equations u get

mg = [tex]\mu[/tex]*(mv^2)/r

in which the masses cancel
g = [tex]\mu[/tex]*(v^2)/r

root(9.81*2)/0.25= v

sorry to be slow but can you explain why its weight is equal to the friction force, and why the centripetal must equal to its normal force?

sheepy said:
sorry to be slow but can you explain why its weight is equal to the friction force,
to understand what is going on, it is essential to draw a free body diagram of the passenger and examine all the forces (contact forces and gravity forces) acting on the passenger, then apply Newton's laws. What are the forces acting in the vertical direction? What is the net force in the vertical direction ?(think Newton 1).
.and why the centripetal must equal to its normal force?
what are the forces acting in the horizontal (centripetal) direction? What is the net force in that direction? (think Newton 2).

When a car takes sudden turn you are pushed in the outward direction due to centrifugal force. This force is perpendicular to the walls of the cylinder.Reaction to this force by the wall is the normal reaction. If the speed of the cylinder is not sufficient passengers slide downwards due to gravitational force. This produces the frictional force in the upward direction. To keep the passengers glued to the cylinder Fk = mu*mv^2/R = mg.

Think of other models of centripetal acceleration that you have learned. If a ball on a string is swung, its centripetal acceleration is provided by the tension force towards the centre of the orbit. If a satellite is orbiting the earth, its centripetal acceleration is provided by gravitational pull to the earth. In this problem, the only force that can provide the needed centripetal acceleration is the cylinder's normal force on the passenger. Thus, the centripetal force equals the normal force.

Last edited:
thanks guys, i get it :]

Thus, the centripetal acceleration equals the normal force.
Forces always exist in pairs. Here the normal reaction experianced by the passenger is due to the centifugal force acting on the passenger in side a rotating cylinder.

isnt centrifugal force different then centripetal

Yes.It is different. It exists only in the accelerated frame of reference, like rotating frame of reference. There is no physical origin for this force. That is why it is called fictitious force.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed toward the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to friction?

In order for an object to maintain its circular motion, it must experience a centripetal force. This force can be provided by friction between the object and its circular path. Friction acts as the centripetal force when an object is moving in a horizontal circle.

3. Can friction affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Yes, friction can affect the speed of an object in circular motion. Friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down. This means that the object's speed will decrease unless there is a constant force acting on it to maintain its speed.

4. How does the frictional force change as the speed of an object in circular motion increases?

As the speed of an object in circular motion increases, the frictional force also increases. This is because the faster an object moves, the more force is needed to keep it moving in a curved path. Therefore, the frictional force must also increase to provide the necessary centripetal force.

5. Can centripetal force and friction act in the same direction?

Yes, centripetal force and friction can act in the same direction. This occurs when an object is moving in a vertical circle, such as a rollercoaster loop. In this case, the centripetal force and friction both act downward, providing the necessary force for the object to maintain its circular motion.