Frequency of Light: Explained & Examples

In summary, the frequency of light refers to the number of times the electric/magnetic fields associated with light change in a given amount of time. This can be changed by moving the source or having the light interact with other particles. Different colors of light have different frequencies and wavelengths.
dmitrip
Frequency of light?

hello everybody, first of all i would like to thank you in advance for answering my questions:)

I am currently learning about the foundations of Quantum physics and this statement keeps on coming up and I cannot understand it. What is the frequency of light?? I don't understand how light can have a frequency and can you please give me a simple of example of how you can change the frequency of light?

thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
dmitrip said:
hello everybody, first of all i would like to thank you in advance for answering my questions:)

I am currently learning about the foundations of Quantum physics and this statement keeps on coming up and I cannot understand it. What is the frequency of light?? I don't understand how light can have a frequency and can you please give me a simple of example of how you can change the frequency of light?

A rather strange question.

First of all, you should have done classical E&M before this. So haven't you solved for the EM wave using Maxwell equation and got the wave equation? The "frequency" should be rather apparent there. So I'm highly puzzled on why you don't understand how light can have a frequency.

How to change light's frequency? Move the source away or towards you, or you move towards or way from the source (doppler effect). Of have the photon collide with a particle (Compton effect), etc... etc.

I have a feeling, though, that there's some underlying problems with this question.

Zz.

dmitrip said:
What is the frequency of light??

at a fixed point in space the electric/magnetic field associated with the light changes in time. The time for the field's amplitude to go from zero up to it's maximum value and back down to zero is half the "period" T. The frequency is one over the period. this is all just like regular waves you probably have studied before.

Different colors of light have different frequencies. etc.

What is the frequency of light?? I don't understand how light can have a frequency..
Light is a wave, waves have frequency and wavelength. The frequency and wavelength correspond physically to the colour we see.

Google "electromagnetic spectrum" and that should help you answer some of your questions.

1. What is the frequency of light?

The frequency of light refers to the number of complete wavelengths that pass a certain point in one second. It is measured in hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

2. How is the frequency of light related to its wavelength?

The frequency of light and its wavelength are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: frequency = speed of light / wavelength.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. The different types of electromagnetic radiation have different frequencies and wavelengths.

4. How does the frequency of light affect its properties?

The frequency of light affects its properties in several ways. Higher frequencies correspond to higher energy levels, which can impact the intensity and color of light. Additionally, different frequencies of light interact with matter in different ways, which is why some frequencies are used for medical imaging while others are used for communication.

5. Can you give some examples of how the frequency of light is used in everyday life?

Yes, the frequency of light is used in various technologies and applications in our daily lives. For example, visible light with different frequencies is used in different types of lighting, such as incandescent bulbs and LED lights. Radio waves, which have lower frequencies, are used for communication through television and radio broadcasts. X-rays, with higher frequencies, are used in medical imaging to see inside the human body. Infrared and ultraviolet light are also used in various technologies, such as remote controls and sterilization processes.