Can You Master Calculus in Just 20 Minutes?

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, A YouTube video was shared in the Physics Forums about a calculus review by a college professor. Some people found it helpful and informative while others found the professor's voice irritating. However, the overall consensus was that it was a good resource for reviewing basic calculus concepts. Some even recommended it to their friends and found it useful for refreshing their own math skills.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Someone posted it in GD a few weeks back.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=218551

I don't recommend spending only 20 minutes on calculus though. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like another person trying to live there life and pass there time by taking the same conepts and just mixing up the words and adding in more. Thats mainly what U-Tube is used for i hope he had fun recording that because mostly all the things that were said are things people can teach them selfs by knowing the basic foundation. but i do hope that his speaking brung him great joy in his life and passed his time till his nexted meal. in short, that's what i think sorry if it sounds negitive if you think my words that i typed are then you have a miss-perception of my intentions all so what do you think about people when they read things like this do you think they give my words a tone when they read it in there head? and do they read it in there own voice? do u?

I don't think you're negative, I just fail to see the point of your post.

LOL OMG! Best video ever :D

Most definitely not suited for beginners.

I made it to about 1 minute... his voice is incredibly irritating!

cristo said:

Same here. I got a little further but just couldn't stand it after a while.

Noone said:
It seems like another person trying to live there life and pass there time by taking the same conepts and just mixing up the words and adding in more. Thats mainly what U-Tube is used for i hope he had fun recording that because mostly all the things that were said are things people can teach them selfs by knowing the basic foundation. but i do hope that his speaking brung him great joy in his life and passed his time till his nexted meal. in short, that's what i think sorry if it sounds negitive if you think my words that i typed are then you have a miss-perception of my intentions all so what do you think about people when they read things like this do you think they give my words a tone when they read it in there head? and do they read it in there own voice? do u?
I don't really understand your post. Are you saying what he's doing is useless? He's a college professor of mathematics hired by a company to teach mathematics. The company chose to let some of the videos be on Youtube (and this is one that made it). He isn't passing his time by, the video is meant to teach the basics/foundation, and with all the money he made working for the company making the videos - I'm sure he's enjoying his next meal, too.

Kurdt said:
Same here. I got a little further but just couldn't stand it after a while.

I found the video very informative. I agree his voice is a little high-pitched and...nerdy (is perhaps the word I'm looking for)? But it certainly isn't enough to stop watching the video for - it's really cool!

I thought it was pretty entertaining. He actually does cover most of the topics of a calculus course.

I noticed this a while back and recomended it to some students I know who are currently struggling with calc I. I think it is great for what it is; just a quick overview. It reminded me of several thing I forgot.

really good basic review i like it thanks

I should be sleeping now because it's 1:41 A.M., but I've been watching this video instead. I must say, it is pretty helpful and a good review. Thanks for posting this.

I love the guy, hey it must be crazy to cover a calculus course in twenty minutes

This guy is actually a really good professor, I'm familiar with some of his other stuff and he's definitely legit. My girlfriend had his videos (thinkwell) for her class a couple years ago, I thought they were good.

He also wrote a book called heart of mathematics which is pretty interesting, its a math course for a liberal arts requirement; it has more of an elementary survey of interesting math topics.

cristo said:

I lasted about 30 seconds. This presentation is much too hyper for me. For learning the basics of calculus nothing beats a good book on the subject.

Screech Is Alive

i enjoyed it!

Yes, it's actually good!

Awesome resource! Thanks! It's a great video for ensuring that you have the material down.

That was awesome. It was enough to rekindle enough of what I learned lo these several decades ago that I want to refresh my math.

I'm debating between a night school course and online learning.

Hah, Yea I love these videos as well. I watched them when I was finished with Calc I but they're a pretty sweet overview of the fundamentals of Calculus. My friends who are taking AP Calc AB love them :D.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, and is used to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

2. Can anyone master Calculus in just 20 minutes?

No, mastering Calculus takes time and practice. 20 minutes may be enough time to understand some basic concepts, but it takes much longer to truly master the subject.

3. How can I learn Calculus in 20 minutes?

In 20 minutes, you can cover some basic principles and definitions of Calculus, but to truly learn the subject, it is recommended to spend time studying and practicing problems.

4. Is 20 minutes enough time to prepare for a Calculus exam?

No, 20 minutes is not enough time to prepare for a Calculus exam. It is important to spend time reviewing and practicing problems to fully understand and retain the material.

5. Can I use online resources to help me master Calculus in 20 minutes?

Online resources can be helpful in understanding some basic concepts of Calculus, but they should not be relied upon as the sole source of learning. It is important to also use textbooks and practice problems to fully grasp the subject.