Formula for Paper Airplane Flight?

In summary, the Shockwave applet simulates the trajectory of a projectile by adjusting the wings' attack angle and elevator.
neogeek
Hey first time poster long time reader, I have a question on the physics behind this shockwave applet. Are there a series or set of equations that could approximate something that is done in this applet?

http://www.workman.com/etcetera/games/fliersclub/

I don't think air resistance is a factor in this, however I do know that when the elevators are set to 0, the plane behaves like a typical projectile motion simulation.

This has been bugging me for quite some time, as I can't understand what equations they would be using to simulate such a thing.

Anway's any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Well, in a mechanically perfect paper airplane, the wings have zero attack angle. So it will behave as if it has no lift. You've got to adjust it so that it lifts.

So that's why the airplane was acting like a projectile. would there be any equations to back up what is going on when there is lift involved with the loops?

Thanks for your help

neogeek said:
So that's why the airplane was acting like a projectile. would there be any equations to back up what is going on when there is lift involved with the loops?

Thanks for your help
Oh, I have no idea. I didn't even get the Shockwave app to run.

But I have a question for you: When you say projectile path, I assume you mean ballistic - i.e. the path a normal, thrown object would follow. But a ballistic path is simply a parabolic path.

Are you sure that a paper airplane isn't following a parabolic path? Granted, it may be a long gentle one because it has lift, but does the Shockwave movie accurately portray glide distance vs. altitude?

I wonder what the path of a paper airplane would look like if we measured it. Something tells me that the farther it travels, the more its pitch will be downward - which is parabolic (even if it's not ballistic).

yay, fun
thanks for sharing that
I don't know the answer to your question, but check out
angle=90 thrust=90 elevator=16
my paper airplanes never do that =)

1. What is the formula for paper airplane flight?

The formula for paper airplane flight is a combination of four main components: lift, thrust, weight, and drag. These components work together to keep the paper airplane in the air and determine its flight path.

2. How does lift affect paper airplane flight?

Lift is the upward force that keeps the paper airplane in the air. It is created by the shape of the wings and the angle at which the wings are tilted. A paper airplane with more lift will stay in the air longer and have a higher flight path.

3. What is the role of thrust in paper airplane flight?

Thrust is the forward force that propels the paper airplane through the air. It is created by the initial throw or launch of the paper airplane. The greater the thrust, the faster and farther the paper airplane will fly.

4. How does weight affect paper airplane flight?

Weight is the force of gravity acting on the paper airplane. It is determined by the mass of the paper airplane and the force of gravity. A heavier paper airplane will have a shorter flight path compared to a lighter paper airplane.

5. What role does drag play in paper airplane flight?

Drag is the force that acts against the motion of the paper airplane. It is caused by air resistance and can slow down the paper airplane's flight. A paper airplane with less drag will have a longer flight path compared to one with more drag.