Projectile Motion: Finding the correct angle for a launch

In summary, this Hollywood daredevil plans to jump the canyon shown in the figure on a motorcycle. If he desires a 3.0-second flight time, the correct angle for his launch ramp (deg) is 22.8 degrees.
Simon777

Homework Statement

A Hollywood daredevil plans to jump the canyon shown in the figure on a motorcycle. There is a 15. m drop and the horizontal distance originally planned was 60. m but it turns out the canyon is really 69.4 m across. If he desires a 3.0-second flight time, what is the correct angle for his launch ramp (deg)?

Homework Equations

vx = vxo

x − xo = (vox)t

(vy) = (vyo) − gt

y − yo = (voy)t −(1/2)g t^2

Range =((vo^2)/g) sin(2θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

x − xo = (vox)t
69.4m = (vox)(3s)
23.13 m/s = vox

69.4m ={ (23.13^2 m/s)/9.81 m/s^2 } sin(2θ)
θ = error

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon777 said:

This formula is valid when the initial and final heights are the same. It is not true now, as there is a 15 m drop.

ehild

ehild said:
This formula is valid when the initial and final heights are the same. It is not true now, as there is a 15 m drop.

ehild

Didn't realize this formula had that limitation. How would you find the correct angle without it? I have no other formulas involving theta.

You have the formulae

x=v0xt
y=y0+v0yt-g/2 t2.

You know t, the horizontal distance and the height from where the motorcycle jumps (15 m) with respect to the final height (zero). Can you get v0y?
If you have both the x and y components of the velocity, can you find its angle with the positive x axis?

ehild

ehild said:
You have the formulae

x=v0xt
y=y0+v0yt-g/2 t2.

You know t, the horizontal distance and the height from where the motorcycle jumps (15 m) with respect to the final height (zero). Can you get v0y?
If you have both the x and y components of the velocity, can you find its angle with the positive x axis?

ehild

I went that route at first and ended up with a wrong answer. I've checked my calculations 5 times and keep coming up with the same wrong angle so if you wouldn't mind double checking me, I'd appreciate it.

15m = (voy) (3s) - (1/2) (9.81m/s^2)(3s)^2
59.145 = (voy) (3s)
voy = 19.7 m/s

x − xo = (vox)t
69.4m = (vox)(3s)
23.13 m/s = vox

To find the angle I used:
tan^-1 of (19.715/23.13) = 40.44 degrees

Simon777 said:
15m = (voy) (3s) - (1/2) (9.81m/s^2)(3s)^2

The problem says that the motorcycle drops 15 m. Your formula means that it raises as your final position is 15 m higher than the initial one. Correct it.

ehild

ehild said:
The problem says that the motorcycle drops 15 m. Your formula means that it raises as your final position is 15 m higher than the initial one. Correct it.

ehild

I finally see where I went wrong. I chose down as the positive direction for y to not have to deal with negative numbers, hence the positive acceleration and positive 15m.

Where this went wrong is that the formula already factors a negative downward acceleration into it with the -(1/2)gt^2 so the downward direction has to be negative.

Thank you so much for helping me realize this.

I ended up with the right answer of 22.8 degrees.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path, known as a parabola, due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical velocities.

2. How do you find the correct angle for a launch?

The correct angle for a launch can be found by using the equation tanθ = (vy/vx), where θ is the launch angle, vy is the vertical velocity, and vx is the horizontal velocity. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for θ to determine the correct angle for the launch.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can affect the horizontal and vertical velocities of the object, thus altering its trajectory.

4. How does the launch angle affect the range of a projectile?

The launch angle directly affects the range of a projectile. For maximum range, the launch angle should be 45 degrees. As the angle increases or decreases from 45 degrees, the range decreases. This is because a launch angle of 45 degrees gives the object an equal horizontal and vertical velocity, resulting in the longest horizontal distance traveled before hitting the ground.

5. Can you use projectile motion equations to calculate the trajectory of a real-life object?

Yes, projectile motion equations can be used to calculate the trajectory of a real-life object. However, these equations assume ideal conditions and do not take into account factors such as air resistance and external forces. Therefore, the calculated trajectory may not match the actual trajectory of the object in real life.