Cooling a lattice QCD gauge configuration

In summary, the speaker is seeking to understand Lattice Gauge Theory, but is having trouble interpreting the results of simulations. They are asking for guidance and currently using specific resources to learn more about Lattice QCD.
femtofranco
Hello
I am looking to learn about Lattice Gauge Theory. I am already understand the general theory, (that is, defining fermions and gauge fields on lattice sites and links, respectively), but am having trouble intuiting the results of such calculations. As an example, the following is a YouTube clip showing the result of a particular simulation examining the cooling of a certain QCD model:

Pretty much, I am beginning to understand how to go from general principles to equations to simulations, but am having trouble reading the results of a simulation (in particular, examining its implications). I would greatly appreciate some guidance in this matter.

Note: I am currently using hep-lat/0509046 and hep-lat/0506036 to learn about Lattice QCD

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
femtofranco said:
Hello
I am looking to learn about Lattice Gauge Theory. I am already understand the general theory, (that is, defining fermions and gauge fields on lattice sites and links, respectively), but am having trouble intuiting the results of such calculations. As an example, the following is a YouTube clip showing the result of a particular simulation examining the cooling of a certain QCD model:

Pretty much, I am beginning to understand how to go from general principles to equations to simulations, but am having trouble reading the results of a simulation (in particular, examining its implications). I would greatly appreciate some guidance in this matter.

Note: I am currently using hep-lat/0509046 and hep-lat/0506036 to learn about Lattice QCD

Your enquiry might be too broad. Perhaps you would get a better response with a more specific question?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is lattice QCD gauge configuration cooled?

The process of cooling a lattice QCD gauge configuration involves iteratively applying a smoothing algorithm to the lattice to reduce the high frequency fluctuations in the gauge fields. This is done to improve the accuracy of the calculation and reduce discretization errors.

2. Why is cooling necessary in lattice QCD calculations?

Cooling is necessary in lattice QCD calculations because it helps to remove short-distance fluctuations in the gauge fields, which can lead to large errors in the calculation. By smoothing out the lattice, the results become more accurate and reliable.

3. What is the cooling parameter in lattice QCD?

The cooling parameter in lattice QCD refers to the number of iterations of the smoothing algorithm applied to the gauge fields. It is typically denoted by the symbol "N" and can range from a few to several hundred, depending on the desired accuracy of the calculation.

4. How does cooling affect the accuracy of lattice QCD calculations?

Cooling improves the accuracy of lattice QCD calculations by reducing the high frequency fluctuations in the gauge fields. This leads to a more precise determination of physical quantities, such as masses and decay rates, and reduces the overall systematic errors in the calculation.

5. Are there any drawbacks to cooling a lattice QCD gauge configuration?

While cooling can improve the accuracy of lattice QCD calculations, it also has some drawbacks. It can lead to a loss of information about the short-distance behavior of the gauge fields and may introduce some lattice artifacts. Additionally, cooling can be computationally expensive and may require a larger number of iterations for more complex gauge configurations.