Mapping an isomorphism b/w 2 grps

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of invertible mapping and its relation to isomorphisms between two groups. It is clarified that for a mapping to be an isomorphism, it must be both invertible and a homomorphism. The additional topological structure needed for the concept of "connected" and "separated" sets is also mentioned. The conversation also includes a discussion about the concept of isomorphism in analysis and the distinction between invertible linear mappings and general invertible functions.
Bachelier
I googled this but couldn't find a clear answer.

Is every invertible mapping an isomorphism b/w 2 grps or does it have to be linear?

Physics news on Phys.org

also does an isomorphism maps connected (separated) sets to connected (separated) sets?

Bachelier said:
I googled this but couldn't find a clear answer.

Is every invertible mapping an isomorphism b/w 2 grps
No!
or does it have to be linear?
It has to be invertible AND a homomorphism, meaning it must satisfy ##\phi(ab) = \phi(a)\phi(b)##, where ##\phi## is the mapping and ##a,b## are arbitrary elements of the group. Here, the group operation is written multiplicatively. The additive version is ##\phi(a+b) = \phi(a) + \phi(b)##.

By the way, one might think that it would also be necessary to stipulate that ##\phi^{-1}## is a homomorphism, but that turns out to be automatically true if ##\phi## is a bijection and a homomorphism.

Bachelier said:
also does an isomorphism maps connected (separated) sets to connected (separated) sets?
Are we still talking about group isomorphisms? There is no notion of "connected" or "separated" for a general group. You need to impose some additional topological structure. So what kind of groups are you working with?

jbunniii said:
Are we still talking about group isomorphisms? There is no notion of "connected" or "separated" for a general group. You need to impose some additional topological structure. So what kind of groups are you working with?

The whole question has to deal with analysis..

if A is connected and we have T: A ---> B an isomorphism, can we say T(A) in B is connected?

I guess one still have to show that a mapping is a homomorphism even in analysis. right?

Bachelier said:
The whole question has to deal with analysis..

if A is connected and we have T: A ---> B an isomorphism, can we say T(A) in B is connected?

I guess one still have to show that a mapping is a homomorphism even in analysis. right?

OK, but you are clearly not working with just groups. What is the structure you are working with?? What are A and B?? What kind of map is T? It's an isomorphism of what?

I think I was confusing the invertibilty of a Linear Mapping between 2 Vector Spaces with any function that has an inverse.

I remember in my Lin. Alg. course, we learned that if a Linear Transformation T is invertible, then it is an isomorphism between the 2 VS.

Clearly this is not the general case.

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures. In the context of groups, an isomorphism is a mapping between two groups that preserves their algebraic structure, meaning it maintains the group operation and identity element.

2. How do you determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups are isomorphic, you can look for a bijective mapping between the two groups that preserves the group operation. This means that for every element in one group, there is a corresponding element in the other group and the operation between those elements is the same in both groups.

3. What is the importance of mapping an isomorphism between two groups?

Mapping an isomorphism between two groups allows us to understand the structure and properties of one group by studying the structure and properties of another group. It also allows us to apply known results and theorems from one group to the other group, making it easier to solve problems.

4. Can two groups have more than one isomorphism between them?

Yes, it is possible for two groups to have multiple isomorphisms between them. This means that there can be different ways to map one group onto the other while preserving their algebraic structure. However, the number of isomorphisms between two groups is limited by the size and structure of the groups.

5. How is mapping an isomorphism between two groups useful in practical applications?

Mapping an isomorphism between two groups has many practical applications, especially in the fields of computer science and cryptography. For example, in cryptography, isomorphic groups can be used to create secure encryption and decryption algorithms. In computer science, isomorphic groups can be used to optimize data storage and retrieval algorithms.