What Temperature Does a Lamp Need to Reach to Melt a Room?

In summary, the usual lamps work on 3000 celsius to create light, but the heat from the filament is mostly transferred through radiation and not conduction, making it safe to handle. The filament has a small mass and thus cannot heat up the room significantly. The circuit wires also heat up but their larger diameter and conductivity allow for the heat to be spread quickly. The glass in the bulb is a poor conductor of heat and cannot dissipate it as quickly as the wires.
dervast
I have read somewhere that the usual lamps work on 3000 celsius so as to create light.. i am wondering why my lamp don't make my room to melt. Silly question eh?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. A regular incandescent bulb runs at about 2,500° C, but close enough. The heat from the filament, though, is almost exclusively transferred to the environment by radiation alone. There is virtually no conduction because there's only a very small physical connection between it and the rest of the bulb. Even so, they're obviously too hot to handle when running.
In addition, that high temperature would quickly disperse in a greater volume of space by the inverse square law.

Last edited:
If it's hot in Los Angeles, does that mean it's hot at the North Pole, too?

- Warren

A typical tungsten filament has a mass of only 15 milligrams so while it is very hot it contains relatively little thermal energy (heat capacity) and so can have very little impact on your substantially more massive room.

Infact during the house chores of changing old bulbs I have many a times got chance to get hold of the electric bulb and also felt the heat. I use atleast a three folded cotton cloth or fold my shirt that many times to hold a bulb to be replaced which was in use till then. But 2500C is something out of my imagination. I never knew it is so hot inside.
Anyway why won't this heat up the circuit wires. I understand the glass surface is not getting heated because it has only to face the radiation from the tungsten filament. But that is not the case od the circuit wire connected to it. They are in conduction because the connection in a bulb is directly to the filament or is it not so?

The reason why the filament gets so hot is that its electrical resistance is relatively large due its small diameter. Yes, the wires connected to the filament also heat up but their diameters are much greater and, being excellent thermal conductors as well as electrical conductors, that heat is spread quickly through a much greater volume. The glass comprising the bulb, however, is a relatively poor conductor of heat and is close to the filament. It gets heated but cannot dissipate it as quickly as the lead wires.

1. What is the melting point of a room?

The melting point of a room is not a scientifically recognized concept. The melting point refers to the temperature at which a substance transitions from a solid to a liquid state. A room is typically made up of a variety of materials, each with its own specific melting point. Therefore, there is no specific temperature at which a room would melt.

2. Can a lamp generate enough heat to melt a room?

No, a standard lamp does not generate enough heat to melt a room. The average temperature of a standard incandescent light bulb is around 2500 degrees Fahrenheit, which is not hot enough to melt most materials typically found in a room.

3. How hot does a lamp need to be to melt objects in a room?

The temperature required to melt objects in a room would depend on the specific materials and their melting points. However, it would likely need to be much hotter than the average temperature of a standard light bulb. Industrial lamps such as arc lamps can reach temperatures of up to 6000 degrees Fahrenheit and may be able to melt certain materials.

4. Can a lamp cause a room to catch fire?

It is possible for a lamp to cause a room to catch fire, but it would depend on the type of lamp and the materials in the room. Incandescent light bulbs produce heat, so if they are placed too close to flammable materials, it could potentially start a fire. LED lights, on the other hand, do not produce as much heat and are less likely to cause a fire.

5. Is it safe to leave a lamp on for extended periods of time?

It is generally safe to leave a lamp on for extended periods of time, as long as it is not placed too close to flammable materials. It is important to follow safety guidelines and not leave lamps unattended for long periods of time, especially if they are older or have any faulty wiring.