Optical Illusion: Wheels Spinning Backwards in Real World

• Medical
  • Thread starter Emanresu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the conversation discusses the well-known illusion of car wheels on television appearing to spin backwards due to a mismatch of picture frequency and wheel's rotational speed, and how this phenomenon can also occur in real life. The possible explanation for this is related to the operation frequency of the brain/sight and the quivering motion of the eye. It is also noted that this illusion does not occur at slow rotation speeds.
Emanresu
We are all familiar with the illusion of the wheels on a car on television appearing to spin backwards when the car is traveling forward, this being caused by a mismatch of the picture frequency and the wheel's rotational speed.

However I have also observed this phenomenon in the real world when looking at the wheel of the car beside me as I drive down the road. This is in normal daylight, so it is not a strobing effect from artificial light.

Can this be explained perhaps in terms of an operation frequency of the brain / sight ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Emanresu said:
We are all familiar with the illusion of the wheels on a car on television appearing to spin backwards when the car is traveling forward, this being caused by a mismatch of the picture frequency and the wheel's rotational speed.

However I have also observed this phenomenon in the real world when looking at the wheel of the car beside me as I drive down the road. This is in normal daylight, so it is not a strobing effect from artificial light.

Can this be explained perhaps in terms of an operation frequency of the brain / sight ?

I'm not sure if this is the reason, but it might add to it...
The eye does not usually look directly at an object, but "quivers" from side to side. This frequency might partially explain the effect.

-Dan

Ever notice how that optical illusion does NOT occur at slow rotation speeds?

While your driving? Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel. :rofl: :zzz: o:)

Last edited:

1. How does the optical illusion of wheels spinning backwards in the real world work?

The optical illusion of wheels spinning backwards in the real world is caused by a phenomenon called the stroboscopic effect. This effect occurs when a series of still images are perceived as continuous motion, creating the illusion of movement. In the case of spinning wheels, the stroboscopic effect is created by the combination of the rotational speed of the wheels and the frequency of the light source.

2. Why do some people see the wheels spinning backwards while others do not?

This phenomenon is known as individual differences in perception. It is influenced by factors such as the individual's visual processing abilities, their familiarity with the object, and their attention to detail. Some people may be more sensitive to the stroboscopic effect, while others may not be as affected by it.

3. Can the direction of the spinning wheels be changed?

Yes, the direction of the spinning wheels can be changed by altering the frequency of the light source or changing the rotational speed of the wheels. This will affect the timing of the still images, and therefore, change the direction of the perceived motion.

4. Are there any real-world applications for this optical illusion?

Yes, the stroboscopic effect has been utilized in various industries such as film-making, animation, and sports. In film-making, this effect is used to create slow-motion footage or make objects appear to move faster than they actually are. In sports, this effect is used to analyze an athlete's movement and improve their performance.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of this optical illusion?

While this optical illusion may be entertaining, it can also cause discomfort or dizziness in some individuals. Prolonged exposure to the stroboscopic effect can also lead to visual fatigue. Therefore, it is important to take breaks and limit exposure to this illusion in order to avoid any negative effects.