How many atoms in a human cell?

In summary, the human body contains a vast number of cells, many of which are not human. Cells in the human body have a vastly different number of atoms than cells in bacteria. A single cell of a prokaryote, eukaryote, animal, human, or plant has a volume of about 10-13m³. A typical human cheek cell has a volume of about 10-13m³. Reckoning ~30 atoms per nucleotide, 125 million atoms wouldn't even cover half the atoms in its DNA. The human body contains a vast number of cells, many of which are not human. Cells in the human body have a vastly different number of atoms than cells in bacteria. A single
can we manipulate atoms configuration within a cell? As all of us know most of the activities of a healthy cell is within the nucleus where the DNA and all the information is stored. This is a complex machine and am sure (to the best of my knowledge), the current technology is not able to unwrap its formula yet. That is, the underestanding of how atoms can communicate with each other which are the basic building block of this complex machine. By using the multiscale modeling can we model the cell and all the complex chemical events that take place as the result of let us say when a man sees a beatiful woman. Are we there yet. I know a comprehensive modeling of each atom within a cell, taking into the consideration the chemistry/electrons interactions is almsot impossible. May be the fine grain techniques could help us to model this complex system. Any help in that matter is appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
farahmand said:
As all of us know most of the activities of a healthy cell is within the nucleus where the DNA and all the information is stored.

No, it really isn't.

farahmand said:
This is a complex machine and am sure (to the best of my knowledge), the current technology is not able to unwrap its formula yet.

I'm not sure what that means. But we did map the complete genome 7 years ago, so I *think* I disagree:
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/home.shtml

farahmand said:
That is, the underestanding of how atoms can communicate with each other which are the basic building block of this complex machine.

Atoms really don't communicate with each other. They're just atoms. And the information stored in DNA is far larger than atoms -- it takes perhaps a hundred atoms to convey just 1 bit of information. (Anyone want to add that up for me? Could be a few hundred, don't know how much sugar there is in the backbone.)

farahmand said:
By using the multiscale modeling can we model the cell and all the complex chemical events that take place as the result of let us say when a man sees a beatiful woman.

That has everything to do with synapses and (almost) nothing to do with DNA or atoms inside the nucleus.

farahmand said:
I know a comprehensive modeling of each atom within a cell, taking into the consideration the chemistry/electrons interactions is almsot impossible.

Right. Simulating quantum systems of more than a few dozen atoms is hard.The current state of the art is simulating small brains (cats, most recently) with point-models of synapses. A fuller model of synapses would take more computational power than is feasible at the moment. An atomic-scale *classical* model won't be feasible for a long time. A full quantum simulation will probably never be possible.

Thanks for all the good information that you provided including the links. As a material scientists, when material is missing an atom (called vacancy) or line dislocation, it can change the material properties. I assume the same thing is true with regard to human cell. It is true that here we are talking about molecules when dealing with the DNA, but a molecule is nothing but the combination and interaction of atoms. So when you said "Atoms really don't communicate with each other", it bothers me (I am not saying you are wrong). I really don't have a good feeling how the mechanism of communication works within a cell? Many thanks for your previous response

There are 1 godzillion. That's more cells than Godzilla is big :)