Self-taught Quantum Field Theory

In summary: You should know basic quantum mechanics, including being able to solve simple excercises, as actionintegral said. I think it would be a good idea to spec up also on advanced integration techniques, including distributions and functionals. QFT strongly depends on these techniques and IMHO they are not well-presented in any text; the normal way graduate physics students pick them up seems to be by word of mouth and example.Some familiarity with relativistic quantum mechanics and Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics/field theory would help, though they are skimmed over in most QFT texts. I've not read it, but Weinberg's "Foundations" volume looks like a fairly concise introductory
Jon2005 said:
I'm interested in teaching myself QFT. My BSc is in Mathematics and Physics, so I probably have a stronger mathematical background than the average physics graduate.
However, I'm assuming it's almost certainly not good enough.

What I am looking for is a way of sensibly teaching myself the topic, most likely beginning with the relevant mathematics.
As for the self-teaching part, it obviously won't be easy, but I'm doing it as a hobby, so I guess I can take as much time as I like. I also taught myself most of my university course anyway, so I have some experience with it.

Any ideas for the relevant background?

Beyond the mathematics obviously I want to get into the subject itself. What books would you recommend? Is Mandl too outdated? Zee too "flimsy"?

Thanks for your time
Jon
I plan on doing the same thing. I also have a bachelors in physics. I had two majors, one physics and the other math. So we seem to have identical backgrounds as far as undergrad physics goes. However I took quantum mechanics in graduate school and have spent the last ten years studying relativity. You will need a strong background in special relativity so I recommend you spruce up your knowledge in that area, especially tensors. Then pick up a good book on quantum theory and go through it. I use Quantum Mechanics by Cohen-Tanoudji et al. Its a great book. I plan on picking up a copy of Quantum Field Theory Demystified next month. :smile:

When you find a good QFT text let me know!

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
exponent137 said:
One of the best books of QFT is written by Eugene Stefanovich. Its book is on arxiv.
What is the exact name of that book? I looked up his name and didn't see a book called QFT. Thanks.

Pete

Dimitri Terryn said:
Not a bad idea at all. I can recommend this text

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/portal/pls/portallive/docs/1/4865913.PDF
But that is a text called Advanced Quantum Field Theory. Seems logical to me that one has to learn Quantum Field Theory before going on to an advanced course, does it not?

Pete

reilly said:
Jon2005 -- As a physics professor, I developed a common sense approach to mastering most any subject, including QFT, which I outline below. From freshman to graduate students, those that followed these steps were consistently my best students; they all got As and really knew their stuff.

At the beginning the approach will be difficult and time consuming -- it might take several days just to get through a couple of pages. But as you continue, the process will become much easier, and will be increasingly fruitful. Among other things, this approach provides a very efficient way to build your intuition. The process really works. So, here are the steps

1.Get two or three QFT book; initially it makes little difference which ones.

2. Throw away all yellow -- or red or...- marker pens

3. Get a big notebook, a ream or two of plain paper, and many of your favorite writing instruments.

4. Pick one of your books, and read Chapter 1.

5. As you read , write out everything you think important in your notebook, whether text or math. Do not write in or mark the book.

6. And do every computation in the Chapter; that's what the plain paper is for. The notebook is for discussion of the important computations -- by your measure.

7. If you get stuck, keep going -- you can almost always trust your text -- and write in your notebook, where and why you are stuck.

8. At the end of this process, you have your own summary notes of Chapter 1, and a list of "stucks". Review them, refine them and then write them as an essay or paper. You might also find, that you need to backtrack to bring your physics-math background up to speed.

9. Go to the other books and check whether or not they can help you with your "stucks", and check whether they might be better candidates for your study.

10. Do the homework problems ; makes sense to use a text that provides answers to these problems.

11 Go to Chapter 2, and repeat the process.

12. At the end, you will have clean textbooks, and your own QFT text, including discussions of stuff you don't get. Through the acts of writing the important things down, and constantly refining your notes, you will develop considerable mastery of QFT as presented in the books you use.

13. Beg, borrow or steal assistance -- books, the Internet, this Forum, individuals -- to help you with things you don't get. In many instances, you'll find your further study will nicely illuminate tough issues.

Good luck, and regards,
Reilly Atkinson
Excellant! Thanks Reilly.

I recommend listening to Reilly folks. He's one of the smartest people I know. In fact he was considered to be one of the smartest people in the company I used to work at. 90% of the empoyees were PhDs, most in physics. I hope I'm not embarassing you?

Were you aware that people though of you that way in that company Reilly? We knew a diamond when we saw them.:approve:

Best wishes

Pete

Pete -- I'm greatly flattered by your kind remarks. Regards,Reilly

pmb_phy said:
What is the exact name of that book? I looked up his name and didn't see a book called QFT. Thanks.

Pete

It is
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0504062

There are interesting ideas,
but I see that I should check about "virtual-photons".