Beginner Physics Help - Questions & Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with physics questions but is unable to receive assistance due to forum rules. The questions involve a car collision, the height of a cliff, and the time it takes for a dropped package to reach the ground. The student is asked to show their attempt at the questions before receiving help.
omelfata
Hello, I just started a Physics course last week and unfortunatly I am stuck with a teacher that can't teach :rolleyes: So , I have come across a few questions that I need help in.

1. A car traveling at 90km/h strikes a tree. The front end of the car compresses and the driver comes to rest after traveling 0.80m . What was the average acceleration od th driver during the collision?

2. A stone dropped from the top of a cliff. It is seen to hit the ground below after 3.50seconds. How high is the cliff?

3. A heliocopter is ascending vertically with a speed of 5.50m/s . At a hight of 105m above the Earth, a package is dropped from a window. How much time does it take for the package to reach the ground?

Thank you in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! Unfortunately the rules of the forum are such that we can not help you unless you've shown some attempt at doing the questions yourself. This is for your own benefit as the learning process would be stunted by people just handing out answers. Please tell us how you are stuck with the questions (i.e. how far have you gotten yourself and what stage are you stuck at).

Hello, it's great that you are taking a physics course! Physics can be a challenging subject, but with some practice and understanding, it can also be very rewarding. I would be happy to help you with these questions.

1. To find the average acceleration of the driver, we can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity (in this case, 0 m/s), vi is the initial velocity (90 km/h converted to m/s), and t is the time it took for the driver to come to rest (0.80 m converted to seconds). Plugging in the values, we get a = (0 m/s - 25 m/s)/0.80 s = -31.25 m/s^2. Since the acceleration is negative, this means the car was decelerating during the collision.

2. To find the height of the cliff, we can use the formula h = 1/2gt^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and t is the time it took for the stone to hit the ground (3.50 s). Plugging in the values, we get h = 1/2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * (3.50 s)^2 = 60.9 m. So the cliff is 60.9 meters high.

3. To find the time it takes for the package to reach the ground, we can use the formula h = vi*t + 1/2at^2, where h is the height (105 m), vi is the initial velocity (5.50 m/s), and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2). We can rearrange this equation to solve for t, which gives us t = (-vi ± √(vi^2 - 4(1/2)a(105)))/(-9.8). Plugging in the values, we get t = (-5.50 ± √(5.50^2 - 4(1/2)(-9.8)(105)))/(-9.8) = 5.90 seconds. So it takes 5.90 seconds for the package to reach the ground.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or need further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Remember to keep practicing and don't be afraid

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object moves, while velocity is the speed of an object in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

2. How can I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newtons's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will continue to do what it is already doing unless a force is applied to change its motion.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can cause an object to slow down or stop. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces and is dependent on the type of material and the force pushing the surfaces together.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.