What Is the Jet Stream Wind Speed Affecting East-West Flight Durations?

In summary, the airplane flight is scheduled to take 50 minutes longer when traveling westward compared to eastward. This assumes that the jet-stream has a west to east component of velocity, which is a reasonable assumption in the mid-latitudes of the northern hemisphere. The airspeed is 600 m/hr, and the assumption is that the jetstream wind velocity has a west to east component rather than an east to west component. This can be solved for by subtracting or adding the west to east component of the jetstream speed to the airspeed when traveling in each direction. The assumed west to east component of the jetstream speed is estimated to be under 100mph, with a likely range of around 60mph.
jdlenner
A airplane flight at 2700 miles is schduled to take 50 min longer westward than eastward. THe airspeed is 600 m/hr.

What assumptions about the jet-stream wind velocity presumed to be east or west are made in preparing the schedule?

(what is the wind speed?)

I am going over Halliday and Resnick after more than 20 years(!) and this one is hanging me up. I would appreciate any help anyone here can offer.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jdlenner said:
A airplane flight at 2700 miles is schduled to take 50 min longer westward than eastward. THe airspeed is 600 m/hr.

What assumptions about the jet-stream wind velocity presumed to be east or west are made in preparing the schedule?

(what is the wind speed?)

I am going over Halliday and Resnick after more than 20 years(!) and this one is hanging me up. I would appreciate any help anyone here can offer.

Thanks
The assumption would be that the jetstream has a west to east component of velocity rather than an east to west component, which is a reasonable assumption in the mid latitudes of the northern hemisphere (including USA).
Ground speed traveling east to west is air speed minus west to east compoment of jetstream speed. Ground speed traveling west to east is air speed plus west to east jetstream wind component. You should now be able to solve for the assumed west to east component of the jetstream speed. I haven't done the math, but it ought to be under 100mph. Gee, I had that Halliday and Resnick book 40 years ago!

HI,

Thanks for your response. As it turns out, it was just an algegra error on my part. "saving time" by doing all the steps in my head!

jdlenner said:
HI,

Thanks for your response. As it turns out, it was just an algegra error on my part. "saving time" by doing all the steps in my head!
Yup, after i posted i tried to do the math and for some reason it was not that simple. Finally ended up with a jet stream wind component in the 60mph range.

1. What is the difference between an East-bound and a West-bound flight?

An East-bound flight travels in the direction of the Earth's rotation, while a West-bound flight travels against the Earth's rotation. This affects the duration of the flight and the direction in which the airplane must travel.

2. How does the Earth's rotation affect an East-West flight?

The Earth's rotation causes the Coriolis effect, which can impact the flight path and time of an East-West flight. This effect is caused by the Earth's rotation and the difference in velocity between the Earth's surface and the air in the atmosphere.

3. Why do East-West flights take longer than West-East flights?

East-West flights take longer than West-East flights due to the Coriolis effect and the direction of the Earth's rotation. This means that airplanes traveling in an East-bound direction must fly against the Earth's rotation, resulting in a longer flight time.

4. How do pilots account for the Coriolis effect during an East-West flight?

Pilots must make adjustments to their flight path and time to account for the Coriolis effect during an East-West flight. This may include adjusting the heading of the airplane or increasing/decreasing the speed to compensate for the effect.

5. Is there a significant difference in fuel consumption for East-West flights compared to West-East flights?

Yes, there is a difference in fuel consumption for East-West flights compared to West-East flights. This is due to the longer flight time and the need for the airplane to fly against the Earth's rotation, which requires more fuel to maintain the same speed and altitude.