Noise reduction and square wave/sine function question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of amplitude reduction and frequency components in a wave. The calculation for reducing amplitude to 50% is done using 20log(Av), while the wave in question contains a 30kHz sine function as part of its Fourier series due to its odd and half-wave symmetric nature. However, the question about reducing noise by 6 dB is ambiguous as it is not specified whether it refers to noise voltage or power.
niteshadw
I have two simple questions but I'm not 100% on how to get the correct result.

1. "The noise is reduced by 6 dB" means its amplitude is cut to _%?
How is it calculated to 50%? I try 20log(Av)...

2. Does this wave contain 30k hertz sine function? (see attachment)
The answer is yes, but I try f=1/T, in this case T = 0.1 ms, so f is 10k, how is it 30k?

Thank you :smile:

Attachments

• untitled1.bmp
    27.5 KB · Views: 570
Engineering news on Phys.org
niteshadw said:
Yes that is what you should try.
[tex]20 \log(A_v) = -6 \Rightarrow A_v = 10^\frac{-6}{20} \approx .50 [/tex]

niteshadw said:
2. Does this wave contain 30k hertz sine function? (see attachment) The answer is yes, but I try f=1/T, in this case T = 0.1 ms, so f is 10k, how is it 30k?
You are right in saying that the frequency of your wave is 10kHz. However, I don't think that's what the question is asking. It is asking does this wave *contain* 30KHz sine function. That is, it asking if the Fourier series of this wave includes a sine term that has the frequency 30kHz = 3(10kHz)? The answer is yes. Here is why: The given function is odd which means that only the coefficients b_k's are non-zero. The function is also half-wave symmetric which means that only the odd harmonics of b_k are non-zero. Thus, your Fourier series should have the form:
[tex] f(t) = \sum_{k=1,3,5...}^{\infty} b_k \sin(k(10k)t)[/tex]

Notice that one of the terms in the series is a sine term which has a frequency of 30kHz.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, that was much of a help! =)

Swapnil said:
Yes that is what you should try.
[tex]20 \log(A_v) = -6 \Rightarrow A_v = 10^\frac{-6}{20} \approx .50 [/tex]

You are right in saying that the frequency of your wave is 10kHz. However, I don't think that's what the question is asking. It is asking does this wave *contain* 30KHz sine function. That is, it asking if the Fourier series of this wave includes a sine term that has the frequency 30kHz = 3(10kHz)? The answer is yes. Here is why: The given function is odd which means that only the coefficients b_k's are non-zero. The function is also half-wave symmetric which means that only the odd harmonics of b_k are non-zero. Thus, your Fourier series should have the form:
[tex] f(t) = \sum_{k=1,3,5...}^{\infty} b_k \sin(k(10k)t)[/tex]

Notice that one of the terms in the series is a sine term which has a frequency of 30kHz.

niteshadw said:

To me, this question is ambiguous. Noise voltage decreases by 6dB when cut in half. But noise power decreases by 3dB when cut in half. The problem hopefully was more explicit, or was stated in a context that implied either noise voltage (or current) or noise power.

1. What is noise reduction and why is it important in scientific experiments?

Noise reduction is the process of reducing unwanted or random variations in data or signals. It is important in scientific experiments because it allows researchers to accurately analyze and interpret their data without interference from external factors.

2. How does noise reduction work?

Noise reduction techniques vary depending on the type of noise and the signal being analyzed. Generally, it involves filtering out unwanted signals or using statistical methods to distinguish between noise and actual data.

3. What is the difference between a square wave and a sine wave?

A square wave is a periodic signal that switches between two levels, a high and a low, at regular intervals. It has a sharp, abrupt transition between the two levels. A sine wave, on the other hand, is a smooth, continuous wave with a single frequency and no abrupt changes.

4. How are square wave and sine wave functions used in noise reduction?

Square wave and sine wave functions are commonly used as test signals in noise reduction algorithms. By analyzing the response of the signal to noise reduction techniques, researchers can determine the effectiveness of their methods in reducing unwanted noise.

5. Can noise reduction completely eliminate all noise in data?

Noise reduction can significantly reduce the impact of unwanted noise on data, but it cannot completely eliminate all noise. This is because there will always be some level of background noise present in any measurement or signal. It is important for scientists to understand and account for this residual noise in their analyses.