Calculating the Speed of Charged Spheres Moving Away from Each Other

In summary, a question is posed about the speed of four 1.0 g spheres when they are very far apart. The attempted solution involves the initial potential energy being equal to the final kinetic energy, but the computer program does not accept the answer. The conversation then delves into the potential energy calculations and the number of terms needed. The expert suggests considering the forces on one sphere alone and going back to the definition of energy in a potential for a more accurate solution.
Canadian

Homework Statement

Four 1.0 g spheres are released simultaneously and allowed to move away from each other. What is the speed of each sphere when they are very far apart?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I got initial potential energy is equal to final kinetic energy.

0.9866 m/s but according to the computer program that's not right. Where'd I go wrong.

Thanks

Attachments

• scan0002 (2).jpg
    scan0002 (2).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your logic is sound but the working is a little iffy. Each sphere sits in the potential of the other three - that's a definite sum of potential energy for each. Moving then to a potential of zero has a definite energy conversion. The only important factors are the initial and final positions.

Consider first one of the spheres. It sits in a potential Kq^2/r from two of the other spheres, and Kq^2/sqrt(2)*r from the third. These sum to give its potential energy. Through symmetry, each of the other spheres is identical.

You appear to have too many terms in that potential energy summation.

Ok thanks, I think I see where I was going wrong I only need to consider the forces acting on one sphere alone since the rest will be identical in their speed.

Is this better? The computer program still doesn't like the answer I got.

Attachments

• scan0003 (2).jpg
    scan0003 (2).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 478
Bump . .

Should I be dividing by 4 somewhere since there are 4 charges??

I'm honestly not sure. I had assumed that since the spheres were moving from a potential to no potential, the energy transfer was definite.

I think you'll have to go back to the definition of energy in a potential - integrate the instantaneous force on each sphere with respect to distance. I'm too tired and crap at maths to do this myself. Good luck.

What is the speed of charged spheres?

The speed of charged spheres can vary depending on several factors, such as the magnitude and polarity of the charge, the medium in which they are moving, and the presence of other charged objects or fields.

How does the speed of charged spheres compare to uncharged spheres?

The speed of charged spheres can be significantly different from uncharged spheres due to the presence of electrostatic forces acting on them. Charged spheres can also interact with other charged objects in their vicinity, which can affect their speed.

Can the speed of charged spheres be manipulated?

Yes, the speed of charged spheres can be manipulated by changing the magnitude or polarity of the charge on the spheres, as well as by altering the electric field in their environment. For example, charged spheres can be accelerated or decelerated by placing them in a strong electric field.

What is the relationship between the speed of charged spheres and the strength of the electric field?

The speed of charged spheres is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field they are in. This means that a stronger electric field will result in a higher speed for the charged spheres, while a weaker electric field will result in a lower speed.

How does the speed of charged spheres affect their behavior?

The speed of charged spheres can greatly impact their behavior, as it determines how they interact with other charged objects and how they move through a medium. Higher speeds can result in stronger electrostatic interactions and may also lead to the formation of electric currents.