Structural analysis influence lines in beams

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of static equilibrium equations and the Müller Breslau Principle in solving a problem involving hinges and rollers. The person is having trouble with solving the FBD equations and is seeking help with determining the influence of reaction C. The other person suggests using the kinematic procedure to find influence lines as an alternative to the standard static procedure.
Romulus3

Homework Statement

http://antishift.org/image.php?id=16122&size=medium

Homework Equations

Static Equilibrium equations: since most of the supports are rollers, only y-forces are considered as well as moment equations. I'm pretty sure E and F are hinges so there are no moments around E and F.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble with solving the FBD equations. First I drew an FBD of segment AE and placed a unit load on the beam at a distance x away from A. Then I solved for the vertical reactions at A and E. But once i do this, I don't know how the reaction a C is affected. can anyone please help me with this? If I know how to do part (a), I am confident I can do the rest. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the kinematic procedure to find influence lines? I always found it pretty much easier than the standard (i.e. static) procedure.

Basically, if you want to find the influence line for some statical quantity, then you have to remove its "realization" (i.e. the bond which allows this quantity (force, torque...) to act) and turn your determinate system into a mechanism with one degree of freedom. You add a generalized unit force at the place where you released the bond (internal or external) and create the displacement sketch of the system, which presents the influence line for the mentioned statical quantity.

Hey radou,

is this the Müller Breslau Principle? I remember skimming over that in my textbook, and your description seems similar. However, the problem states I should solve using statics. :frown:

Romulus3 said:
Hey radou,

is this the Müller Breslau Principle? I remember skimming over that in my textbook, and your description seems similar. However, the problem states I should solve using statics. :frown:

Well, you can start with a sketch of the influence line of the vertical reaction at C with the Müller Breslau Principle (since it's almost trivial to find it), perhaps it will help you to reason about "influences" in the static procedure. I'm a bit foggy with that procedure, so I can't be of any great help right now. Should revise it, though. :rolleyes:

1. What is structural analysis?

Structural analysis is the process of studying and understanding the behavior of structures, such as beams, under different loading conditions. It involves using mathematical calculations and engineering principles to determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure.

2. What are influence lines in beams?

Influence lines in beams are graphical representations of how a specific point on a beam will be affected by a unit load moving across the beam. They help determine the maximum and minimum values of a particular force, such as bending moment or shear force, at any point on a beam.

3. Why are influence lines important in structural analysis?

Influence lines are important in structural analysis because they provide a quick and visual way to determine the effects of different loads on a beam. They also help engineers design more efficient and cost-effective structures by identifying critical points where the maximum forces occur.

4. How are influence lines used in practice?

Influence lines are used in practice by plotting them on a graph and then using them to determine the maximum and minimum values of a particular force at different points on a beam. Engineers can then use this information to design structures that can withstand these forces.

5. What are the limitations of influence lines in structural analysis?

Influence lines have certain limitations in structural analysis. They only consider the effects of a single unit load moving across a beam, so they may not accurately reflect the actual loading conditions a structure may experience. Additionally, they do not account for the effects of temperature, moisture, and other external factors on the structure.