How Long Does It Take a String Particle to Travel 1 km Given Wave Parameters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time required for a particle on a string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km, given the speed, wavelength, and amplitude of a transverse wave on the string. The equation used is v=λ/T and the solution involves finding the total number of cycles necessary to cover 1 km and multiplying it by the time per cycle, which results in a final time of 2.5 seconds. The relationship between the total lateral displacement during one period and the amplitude of the wave is also mentioned.
ladolce

Homework Statement

The speed of a transverse wave on a string is 420 m/s, and the wavelength is 0.14 m. The amplitude of the wave is 1.5 mm. How much time is required for a particle of the string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km?

Homework Equations

λ x υ= v

The Attempt at a Solution

λ x υ= v
υ= v/λ= 420/0.14= 3000
(1000meters)/(0.00152)= (4.444 x 108) T, where T is the period
t= (4.444 x 108)/ 3000= 1.481 x 10^5

i don't get what I'm doing wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, are you and brookelynn3 in the same class? With the same typo in the question you're posting? How can a particle on the string move a km?

brookelynne3 said:
:cry:Ok I don't know exactally what I am doing wrong here, someone please help!:cry:

The speed of a transverse wave on a string is 400 m/s, and the wavelength is 0.19 m. The amplitude of the wave is 1 mm. How much time is required for a particle of the string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km?

I tried to solve for this by:
v=lamda/T so..
400=.19/t which equals a time of
.000475 seconds per cycle and i thought if I want 1000m (1km) i need to go 1000m/.19m to get how many cycles are necessary, that equals 5263.15 cycles to go 1000 meters so...
5263.15 cycles (.000475m/cycle)=2.5 seconds to complete all the cycles that equals 1000 meters or 1 km.
Except when I input this into my computer, its saying its wrong. can anyone pelase tell me what I am missing?

How does the total lateral displacement during one period relate to the amplitude of the wave?

Measuring from zero displacement, the particle moves to full deflection on one side, back to zero to full deflection on the other side, and back to zero in one period.

Ah, I see that your question has slightly different numbers (weird), and I also see where andrevdh gives a good hint at the end of the other thread about the total distance that a particle on the string travels up and down...

Just click on the green arrow box in the quote to get to the original thread from the last few days.

1. What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse waves?

Longitudinal waves are characterized by the movement of particles in the same direction as the wave, while transverse waves are characterized by the movement of particles perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

2. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums by causing the particles in the medium to vibrate, which creates a wave that propagates through the medium. The speed of sound is dependent on the density and elasticity of the medium.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: v = fλ, where v is the speed of the wave, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.

4. How does the amplitude of a wave affect its energy?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy of the wave also increases. This is because the amplitude represents the maximum displacement of particles in the wave, and the more displacement there is, the more energy is transferred.

5. What is the difference between pitch and volume in relation to sound waves?

Pitch is determined by the frequency of a sound wave, with higher frequencies corresponding to higher pitches and lower frequencies corresponding to lower pitches. Volume, on the other hand, is determined by the amplitude of the sound wave, with larger amplitudes corresponding to louder sounds and smaller amplitudes corresponding to softer sounds.