Strange Plane Behavior: Explaining Graphs from the Black Box

In summary, there was a discussion about the interpretation of data from the black box of a plane that was falling down. It was mentioned that the plane seemed to have entered a tail spin, which could explain the slowing down of its speed. However, one person pointed out that the data being looked at was for ground speed, not airspeed. Upon further examination of airspeed data, it was determined that the plane was in a mild dive and then rolled over and pitched down more steeply.
jumpjack
Don't know if this is the right place for such a question...

I plotted these graphs based on data taken from the black box of a plane:

http://www.planetmobile.it/jumpjack/immagini/volo93-grafici.GIF

I can't fully understand these data: looks like while the plane was falling down, it was also slowing down. Is this interpreataion correct? How could it be explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
The plane seems to have entered a tail spin, which would slow down its speed dramatically.

How do you get a tail spin from that? I would like to see some yaw port data before jumping there.

You are looking at groundspeed, not airspeed. With a huge roll rate and pitch down it's possible that this thing is falling at a very steep rate which is shown on the altitude plot. Do you have any data on airspeed?

Sorry, my mistake, I plotted GROUND speed rather than AIR speed, so I guess it's correct, being the plane going down very fast.

Here you find full FDR data, you want to play with them. ;-)
http://www.crono911.net/doc0/FOIA/UA93tab.zip

It just looks to me like the plane was in a mild dive, then rolled over and pitched down more steeply. Ground speed slowed because of the angle of the dive - airspeed probably went up, though not necessarily.

1. What is a "black box" in regards to strange plane behavior?

A "black box" is a device that records data and information from an aircraft during flight. It is typically located in the cockpit and is used to gather information for accident investigations or to analyze the performance of the aircraft.

2. How are graphs from the black box used to explain strange plane behavior?

The graphs from the black box show data such as altitude, speed, and direction of the aircraft during flight. By analyzing these graphs, experts can identify patterns or irregularities that may explain strange behavior or incidents that occurred during the flight.

3. What are some examples of strange plane behavior that can be explained by black box data?

Some examples of strange plane behavior that can be explained by black box data include sudden changes in altitude, unexpected dips or climbs, and drastic changes in speed or direction.

4. How do scientists interpret the data from the black box to explain strange plane behavior?

Scientists and experts analyze the data from the black box using mathematical models and algorithms. They also take into account external factors such as weather conditions and air traffic to determine the most likely cause of the strange behavior.

5. Can black box data be used to prevent future incidents?

Yes, black box data is crucial in identifying the cause of strange plane behavior and can be used to make improvements and prevent similar incidents from happening in the future. By analyzing the data, scientists can identify the root cause and suggest changes in procedures or technology to improve flight safety.