Electric Field of a Quadrupole

In summary, ChaoticOrder writes that they are at the same equation mentioned above, but do not know how to simplify it. They end up with an x^6 term that is zero. The dimensional analysis in this thread shows that the expression for Q should be Q=2qa^2, not Q=2q^2a.
xaer04

Homework Statement

"An electric quadrupole consists of two oppositely charged dipoles in close proximity. (a) Calculate the field of the quadrupole shown in the diagram for points to the right of x = a, and (b) show that for x>>a the quadrupole field falls off as
[tex]\frac{1}{x^4}[/tex]"

---------(+q)-----(-2q)-----(+q)----------

the left charge is at position x = -a, the middle is at x = 0, and the right is at x = a.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E}(P)=\sum{\frac{kq}{r^2} \hat{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the charge to be this convoluted mess, but i don't see any ways of simplifying it.
[tex]\frac{kq}{(x-a)^2} \hat{i} - \frac{2kq}{x^2} \hat{i} + \frac{kq}{(x+a)^2} \hat{i}[/tex]

when i combined the fractions i got something even more horrifying.
[tex]kq \left[ \frac{x^2(x+a)^2 - 2(x+a)^2(x-a)^2+x^2(x-a)^2} {x^2(x-a)^2(x+a)^2} \right][/tex]

the way i understand it, when you show that something "falls off" you negate the a as x becomes very big, which makes sense... the a is very small and therefore pretty much negligible. however, when i did that and simplified, i got this:
[tex]\frac{0}{x^6}[/tex]

where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the binomial approximation, and learn to love it:

(1+b)^-2 ~= 1 - 2b + 3b^2 for b<<1

Start with your first expression...forget combining fractions. Factor an x^2 out of all the denominators to get terms like the one I just wrote. Apply the approximation and collect like terms. You'll notice that most terms will cancel and what you will be left with is the desired x^-6 dependence.

This is a very old thread, but it's the exact same problem I'm working on.

How does one apply the binomial approximation in this case? And is there a typo in the approximation that ChaoticOrder wrote down?

I am at the very same equation mentioned above but do not know how to simplify it into something usable. The answer should be:

[tex]\frac{3Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^4}[/tex] where [tex]Q=2aq^2[/tex]

Any help please?

I think you can get out of it with a mix of the 2 posts above...

Of course (at least i hope so, since it's timestamp is 2007) this is no longer useful to OP, but I'm giving some elements for the community (this very thread pops out in 1st page of a famous web search engine for 'electric quadrupole field')

The x^6 term IS zero. This is clear from using a=0 in the equation. What you have to do in order to solve the problem is to factorize by Q = 2qa² (*not* 2aq²) and let a/x -> 0 afterwards only (letting Q be fixed, as it is the electric quadrupole moment ; alternatively you might say, letting 'a' stay a fixed parameter and increasing x). You'll end up with a ~Q/x^4 term as above post suggests.

If you just do simple algebra, and use [itex](x+a)(x-a)=x^2-a^2[/itex] on the original poster's "more horrifying expression," a lot of terms cancel and you are left with:

[itex]E=2kqa^2\frac{3x^2-a^2}{x^2(x^2-a^2)^2}[/itex]

This is still exact, no approximations. As [itex]x\rightarrow\infty[/itex]:

[itex]E=2kqa^2\frac{3}{x^4}[/itex]

which is the expected result.

(Dimensional analysis shows Exitwound's expression for [itex]Q[/itex] should be [itex]Q=2qa^2[/itex], not [itex]Q=2q^2a[/itex]).

1. What is an electric field of a quadrupole?

The electric field of a quadrupole is a type of electric field that is created by two positive and two negative charges arranged in a specific geometric pattern. It is a more complex and stronger electric field compared to a dipole, which is created by two equal and opposite charges.

2. How is the electric field of a quadrupole calculated?

The electric field of a quadrupole is calculated using the following equation: E = kq/r^3, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge of the particles, and r is the distance from the center of the quadrupole.

3. What is the direction of the electric field of a quadrupole?

The direction of the electric field of a quadrupole depends on the orientation of the charges. In general, the electric field lines point away from the positive charges and towards the negative charges.

4. How does the strength of the electric field of a quadrupole change with distance?

The strength of the electric field of a quadrupole decreases as the distance from the center of the quadrupole increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning it is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of the electric field of a quadrupole?

The electric field of a quadrupole has many practical applications, including in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and ion traps. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET).