Solving 4th Degree Polynomial with Roots 3 and 1-i

In summary, the problem is trying to find a fourth degree polynomial with zeroes of 1-i. The solution is to find a polynomial with zeroes of (x-3)(x-(1-i))(x-a)(x-b) where a and b are any real numbers.
saywhaaaat

Homework Statement

Write a fourth degree polynomial that has roots of 3 and 1-i. There is more than one correct solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm extremely lost as to where this problem is going, I know that to be a fourth degree its simply x^4, but how in the world do you incorporate i into a polynomial when you're given zeros?
Do you multiply 3 and 1-i, and keep foiling until there is a fourth degree? because that makes absolutely no sense. Sorry if i sound dumb guys

now see if it was more along the lines of a coefficient with the i such as 3i etc. I would get it, but 1-i throws me off completely

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1-i is a complex number, and there is a theorem that complex roots come in conjugate pair so a generic such polynomial is:

(x-(1-i))(x-(1+i))(x-a)(x-3)

Note that a must be real, for if it wasn't 3 would have to be a complex conjugate of a.

When given zeroes of a polynomial, a,b,c,...,z remember you can write the polynomial as:
(x-a)(x-b)...(x-z)=p(x)

I'm pretty sure this is what you are asking for.

Cheers,
Siddharth M

sqywhaaat said:
I know that to be a fourth degree its simply x^4
You certainly do NOT know that. I suspect you meant to say that the highest power must be x4 but there may be lower powers of x as well.

Well, you have learned to solve polynomial equations by factoring them haven't you?

You know that you can solve x2+ 5x+ 6= 0 by factoring: (x+ 3)(x+ 2)= 0 so x= -3 and x= -2 are solutions.

It works the other way too. The only quadratic polynomial with zeroes -3 and -2 is (x-(-3))(x-(-2))= (x+3)(x+2). If you were asked for a 4th degree polynomial having those zeroes, you would simply multiply (x+3)(x+2)(x-a)(x-b) where a and b are any numbers you want.

If you want 3 and 1- i to be zeroes of a fourth degree polynomial, you must have something of the form (x- 3)(x-(1-i))(x-a)(x-b) for some numbers a and b. Choose any values you want for a and b- that's why "There is more than one correct solution".

SiddarthM said:
there is a theorem that complex roots come in conjugate pair
No, there isn't. There is a theorem that says that if a polynomial with real coefficients has complex roots they must be in conjugate pairs.

If you want the coefficients to be real (although you don't say that), you must also include the "complex conjugate" of 1- i which is 1+i. That is you need (x- 3)(x-(1-i))(x-(1+i))(x-a) where, again, a can be any (real) number you wish.

(Strictly speaking, an equation has "roots". A polynomial or other function has "zeroes": values for which the function value is 0.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a 4th degree polynomial?

A 4th degree polynomial is a polynomial with a highest degree of 4. It is also known as a quartic polynomial and has the general form of ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants.

What are the roots of a polynomial?

The roots of a polynomial are the values of x that make the polynomial equal to zero. In other words, they are the solutions to the equation ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e = 0.

How do you solve a 4th degree polynomial with roots 3 and 1-i?

To solve a 4th degree polynomial with given roots, you can use the method of factoring by grouping. First, you would factor out (x - 3) and (x - 1 + i) from the polynomial. Then, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for the remaining roots. Finally, you can combine all the factors to get the complete solution.

What is the importance of solving 4th degree polynomials with complex roots?

Solving 4th degree polynomials with complex roots is important in applications where the variables represent physical quantities, such as in physics or engineering. It allows us to find the roots of equations that cannot be solved using only real numbers.

Are there any other methods for solving 4th degree polynomials with complex roots?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the rational root theorem or the cubic formula. However, these methods can be more complicated and time-consuming. The method of factoring by grouping is often the most efficient and straightforward way to solve 4th degree polynomials with complex roots.