Hovercraft levitation - simple ideas needed

In summary, the conversation is about building a miniature hovercraft for a school project. The person asking for help is in 7th grade and not a physics or math genius. They have been given suggestions to use a dust-buster, cardboard or balsa wood, and wind-proof cloth to build it, or to buy a remote controlled one. Other suggestions include using foam meat trays, a CD, and a balloon to create a simple hovercraft. One person also suggests using a gas powered backpack leaf blower and wide bottom shoes to create a personal hovercraft. The conversation ends with the person thanking everyone for their suggestions, though they have already completed the project.
aychihuahua99
Okay, I know there are old posts, but I can't understand a word cause I'm in 7th grade. So, I need to make a miniature hovercraft that can actually levitate. Price isn't a problem, so can anyone give me the basic materials and where to get them? I'm not what you call a physics or math genius, so bear with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could probably build one with a dust-buster, a piece of cardboard or balsa wood, and some wind-proof cloth (like a windbreaker).

If price really isn't a problem then you can buy a remote controlled one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WDWQFM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks, I'll look it up.

Ok, I saw the remote controlled one, but I need to build one, not buy one. I want to get a good grade on the this project, do you have any ideas on how to make one?

And also, I need to do this in-class, I think, so a little 5x11 inch one or something is about it

ive made little hovercrafts out of foam meat trays a nine volt and two motors with computer fans on them...Pretty cool! interested?

You can make a quick and dirty one with a CD, a small thread spool glued to the CD so the holes match and a balloon attached to the spool (or some other way to attach the balloon to the CD hole), you might have to make the CD hole a little smaller. Blow up the balloon through the CD hole and set it on the floor and you have a hovercraft for as long as the air in the balloon lasts. It will work better with a 33rpm record and a bigger balloon if you can find one. I did this as a kid with a record and it works. If you can find a small enough and light enough air pump a record will give you a nice base to build on, lots of surface area. Just try to get it balanced as good as possible when you build it. A little creative covering and you have a flying saucer. You will have to give it a push unless you put in some kind of side thrust on top but it will go a long way with a push because it is almost frictionless.

I was looking at a gas powered backpack leaf blower the other day and started to think about running the air to some wide bottom shoes to make a personal type of hovercraft (more like frictionless shoes than hovercraft) but I don't think it would put out enough air pressure to have reasonably small shoes. The larger the surface area underneath, the less air pressure is required.

edit: just noticed how old this thread is, the kid could be in college now lol

Last edited:

haha thanks guys, but I'm already done with the project now

1. How does a hovercraft stay afloat?

A hovercraft stays afloat by using a cushion of air, created by a fan or propeller, to lift the vehicle off the ground. This cushion of air is typically contained within an air-tight skirt or bag that surrounds the bottom of the hovercraft.

2. What is the principle behind hovercraft levitation?

The principle behind hovercraft levitation is based on the laws of physics, specifically the Bernoulli's principle. This principle states that as the speed of a fluid (in this case air) increases, its pressure decreases. This decrease in pressure allows the hovercraft to rise and stay afloat.

3. How does the weight of the hovercraft affect its levitation?

The weight of the hovercraft does not directly affect its levitation. However, the weight of the hovercraft will determine the amount of power needed to generate enough air to lift the vehicle off the ground. A heavier hovercraft will require a more powerful fan or propeller to create the necessary lift.

4. What are some simple ideas for improving hovercraft levitation?

Some simple ideas for improving hovercraft levitation include: using a more powerful fan or propeller, increasing the air pressure within the skirt or bag, decreasing the weight of the hovercraft, and optimizing the design of the skirt or bag to reduce air leakage.

5. Can a hovercraft levitate over any surface?

In theory, a hovercraft can levitate over any surface as long as there is enough air pressure and a smooth surface for the hovercraft to glide over. However, hovercrafts are more commonly used on flat, smooth surfaces such as water, ice, or land with minimal obstacles.