Why LEDs Have a Broadened Spectra?

In summary, LED spectra are not sharper due to the broad gain spectrum caused by the band structure of the semiconductor. The difference between a diode laser and an LED is the role of spontaneous emission and amplified spontaneous emission. The theory of the linewidth of semiconductor lasers depends strongly on coupling between intensity and phase, which leads to relaxation oscillations and linewidth broadening. However, this may not apply to LEDs as they have different mechanisms for broadening.
Lee
Why is it that LEDs do not sharper spectra? I've been considering this recently, and was wondering if it was due to the uncertainty principle (like homogeneous broadening in a laser) or is it due to a fluctuating band gap? I've searched high and low and can't find any explanation for the broadening in LED spectra.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, the main difference between a diode laser and an LED is that one is additionally an optical resonator. But ignoring that, I don't know what mechanism most contributes [to the LED] line width (if I had to guess, I'd say the band gap transition isn't just between discreet energy levels, unlike in an elementary gas where broadening might have to be attributed to Doppler).

Last edited:
Yeah, with a LED laser you sheer each side so they have some sort of reflectivity, creating your cavity, and rather conveniently the depletion region has a different refractive index from the rest of the material creating a waveguide (for small angles) which helps to confine the light to the desired region.

I know that you can get 2 types of broadening in lasers, homogeneous and inhomogeneous, one is attributed to Doppler shifts and the other to the uncertainty principle. I think, it might be through the variable nature of the band gap within the PN junction, that with each photon created the depletion range will change and causing the energy of the next photon to be released to be different, and this causes the broadening. Is this the primary cause?

Lee said:
I know that you can get 2 types of broadening in lasers, homogeneous and inhomogeneous, one is attributed to Doppler shifts and the other to the uncertainty principle.

Doppler shifts are usually taken into account, if you have a look at gas lasers or something similar. In solid state lasers the case is a bit different.

The theory of the linewidth of semiconductor lasers depends strongly on coupling between intensity and phase. Spontaneous emission occurring in a laser operating at steady state will introduce some change in the gain and the refractive index, which leads to relaxation oscillations and to linewidth broadening.

Maybe this classical paper might help you:

C. H. Henry, "Theory of the linewidth of semiconductor lasers", IEEE J. Quantum. Electron. 18 (2), 259 (1982)

That's very interesting. Will the broadening within the spectrum of the everyday LED also be caused by the coupling between the intensity and phase?

LEDs have a broad output spectrum because the gain spectrum is broad, the gain spectrum being determined (I think) by the band structure of the semiconductor.

I think you are going down the wrong path by looking at laser broadening mechanisms if you are looking at LEDs.

Claude.

As per Chuang, Physics of Optoelectronic Devices, the difference between an LED and a Laser Diode is the role of spontaneous emission and amplified spontaneous emission. He details everything nicely starting on page 405. I believe that Sze's The Physics of Semiconductor Devices also does a good job of explaining the differences, but that text is on my desk at work so I can't get into it until later.

1. Why do LEDs have a broadened spectra?

LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, have a broadened spectra because they are made of semiconductor materials that emit light when an electric current is applied. The composition of these materials allows for a range of different wavelengths of light to be emitted, resulting in a broadened spectra.

2. How does the broadened spectra of LEDs affect their color output?

The broadened spectra of LEDs allows for a wider range of colors to be produced compared to traditional light sources. This is because the different wavelengths of light emitted by the semiconductor materials can be combined to create various colors, resulting in more vibrant and accurate color output.

3. What advantages does the broadened spectra of LEDs have over traditional light sources?

The broadened spectra of LEDs offers several advantages over traditional light sources, including a wider color range, better color accuracy, and greater energy efficiency. Additionally, LEDs have a longer lifespan and are more durable compared to traditional light sources.

4. Can the broadened spectra of LEDs be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, the broadened spectra of LEDs can be controlled and adjusted by using different combinations of semiconductor materials and by adjusting the amount of electric current applied. This allows for precise control over the color output of LEDs, making them ideal for various lighting applications.

5. Are there any drawbacks to the broadened spectra of LEDs?

One potential drawback of the broadened spectra of LEDs is that they may produce a bluish tint in their light output, which can affect the color perception of objects. However, this can be mitigated by using different combinations of semiconductor materials or by using color filters. Additionally, ongoing research and advancements in LED technology are continuously improving color accuracy and reducing this potential drawback.