Need some help with relativity

• Thread starter Mad1kas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, a 14-year-old boy from Greece is interested in physics but is struggling to understand relativity. He is looking for an understandable guide or someone to help him understand it. Another person recommends Banesh Hoffmann's "Relativity and its Roots" as a comprehensible explanation of special and general relativity. The boy expresses gratitude for the recommendation but mentions that he would prefer a book in his native language, Greek.
Mad1kas
hello people of physics,

i am a 14 year old boy from Greece and i am generaly attracted to physics...but...relativity has caused me some troubles...
for some reason i haven't found an understandable guide to understand relativity..
i don't know if my intelligence growth is enough to understand it but worths giving it a try!

what i would like to know is if anyone of you is willing to help me understand it or share with me an understanble guide !

with respect to my co-physicians,
mad1kas

Physics news on Phys.org
The people here probably know better books than the ones I've read, but from layman to layman I'd highly recommend Banesh Hoffmann's "Relativity and its Roots", by far the most comprehensible explanation of special and general relativity I've read so far (wikipedia's articles are great too).

I looked up Hoffmann's book and it's even available as a google book:
ht_tp://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=JokgnS1JtmMC&dq=relativity+and+it's+roots&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=_UViyEBijK&sig=Au5OLcS-2UKeNkYEI0-DN4NIEAA

(Remove the _ in http to get the address, I haven't got to the 15 posts threshold I'm required to cross before posting URL's :P)

Thank you my friend i really appreciate your assisstance...
Though, i don't think my English is enough improved to understand this entire book so i would like to look for something in my language so that it would be more comprehensible and easier for me to understand !

i will look up for Hoffman's book in Greek and anyone's else our co-physicians will suggest...

I rather doubt that many people here are acquainted with physics books in Greek, but maybe you'll get lucky!

What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects in motion behave differently than objects at rest. It also explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by gravity.

How does relativity affect our daily lives?

Relativity has a significant impact on our daily lives by providing the foundation for GPS technology, which relies on precise calculations of time and space. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion, such as the movement of planets in our solar system.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects in uniform motion, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on objects in motion. Special relativity is also based on the principle of relativity, while general relativity is based on the principle of equivalence.

Why is the speed of light considered a constant in relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is a constant because it is the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information can travel. This fundamental principle is essential in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and the relationship between space and time.

Are there any practical applications of relativity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of relativity, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics, such as the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the origins of the universe.