Does this probability problem have all the info needed to solve?

• Thread starter Proggy99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, when faced with a problem that does not provide all necessary information, it is important to clarify any missing information before attempting to find a solution. Making assumptions can lead to incorrect conclusions and should be avoided in scientific research.
Proggy99

Homework Statement

If 5% of men and .25% of women are color blind, what is the probability that a randomly selected person is color blind?

Homework Equations

.05 * .5 + .0025 * .5 = .02625

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew the answer from the back of the book and that led me to assume that the population distribution was 50% men and 50% women to get to the solution. Is this a common assumption if it is not stated in the problem? I would not have thought this was the case.

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to not make assumptions and to carefully consider all aspects of the problem before attempting to find a solution. In this case, it is not explicitly stated in the problem what the population distribution is. Therefore, it is important to clarify this information before attempting to find a solution. This could be done by consulting other sources or asking the person who posed the question for more information. Making assumptions about the population distribution can lead to incorrect conclusions and should be avoided in scientific research.

1. What information is needed to solve a probability problem?

In order to solve a probability problem, you will need to know the total number of possible outcomes, the number of favorable outcomes, and the probability of each outcome occurring. Additionally, you may need to know any relevant conditions or assumptions.

2. How can I determine if a probability problem has all the necessary information?

To determine if a probability problem has all the necessary information, you should carefully read the problem and identify the given information and what is being asked for. Then, check if you have all the information needed to calculate the probability.

3. What should I do if I am missing information in a probability problem?

If you are missing information in a probability problem, you should first check if you can make any reasonable assumptions based on the given information. If not, you may need to seek clarification or additional information from the source of the problem.

4. Can I solve a probability problem without knowing the exact values?

It is possible to solve a probability problem without knowing the exact values, as long as you have enough information to calculate the probability. This may involve using estimates or ranges instead of exact values.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when solving probability problems?

Some common mistakes people make when solving probability problems include not carefully reading the problem, using incorrect formulas or calculations, and assuming conditions that are not stated in the problem. It is important to double-check your work and make sure you have all the necessary information before solving a probability problem.