Proving Set Theorems: A Guide for Confused Students

• Thread starter j9mom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to prove that A is equal to B in set theory, you must first show that A is a subset of B and that B is a subset of A. This can be done by starting with the assumption "if x is in A" and using the definitions of A and B to show that "x is in B".
j9mom

Homework Statement

I am very confused on how to prove these set theories. The statements seem to prove themselves just by the definitions of the symbols. For example:

If A is contained or equal to B union C and A intersect B = {} (the empty set) then A is contained or equal to C.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have is:

Assume that A is contained in or equal to B union C. So, any element X that is in A will also be in either B or C. However, we also assume that A n B is the empty set, there is not element in B that is in A. Hence, any X must be contained in C. Therefore A is contained in or equal to C.

This seems too easy... What am I assuming that i need to prove?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may seem too easy. But that is pretty much the whole proof. Well done. Easy theorems deserve easy proofs.

THANKS, that give me confidence!

Generally, speaking, for sets, A, B, you prove "A = B" by proving "A is a subset of B" and "B is a subset of A".

And you prove "A is a subset of B" by starting "if x is in A" and using the definitions of A and B to conclude "x is in B".

1. What is a set theorem?

A set theorem is a statement about the relationship between sets, often involving operations like union, intersection, and complement. It is a fundamental concept in set theory and is used to prove various mathematical statements.

2. Why is it important to prove set theorems?

Proving set theorems is important because it helps establish the validity of mathematical statements and allows for further applications and extensions of these statements. It also helps to deepen our understanding of set theory and its applications in various fields.

3. What are the basic steps for proving a set theorem?

The basic steps for proving a set theorem are:
1. Clearly state the theorem to be proven.
2. Understand the definitions and properties involved.
3. Use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to deduce the proof.
4. Check the validity of the proof and make any necessary corrections.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when proving set theorems?

Some common mistakes students make when proving set theorems include:
- Not fully understanding the definitions and properties involved.
- Making incorrect assumptions.
- Using incorrect logical reasoning.
- Not checking the validity of the proof.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving set theorems?

To improve your skills in proving set theorems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the definitions and properties involved. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor, and to study and analyze examples of proven set theorems. Additionally, staying organized and paying attention to detail can also help in the process of proving set theorems.