Need Help-Alternator Searching

• Thread starter mcuongdt1986
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with building a system to produce electricity for a room with 40 PCs and 40 LCD screens. The needed power is 15 KW per hour and the system includes a compressed air tank, turbocharger, and alternator. The speaker has searched for suitable alternators and turbochargers but has not found a suitable one yet. They are asking for suggestions and advice from anyone with experience in this type of project. A suggestion is made to use a UPS or petrol powered generator instead, as compressing air and expanding it to turn a turbine would be inefficient.
mcuongdt1986
Dear everyone. I have a problem and need your help.

I am building the system to produce electricity for a room with 40 PC and 40 LCD screens. The needed power is about 15 KW (20 hp) per hour. My system consists of a compressed air tank, a turbocharger and an alternator. I will talk a little bit about the operation: the air is released from the tank and driven by ducting system to turbocharger at which is through turbocharger and rotate alternator to produce electricity. I have searched in internet many times about the alternator but still have no fit one. Can anybody suggest me one? And the turbocharger too if you don't mind. I really need all the details about both of it before I start design this system.

If anybody have any ideas or used to do this project, please give me some advice as well as your own experiences. I greatly appreciate that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to use this as a back up power supply buy yourself a proper UPS (uninteruptable power supply) it will be cheaper and more reliable then what you are suggesting. If you really want to make your own electricity buy a petrol powered generator, compressing air and then expanding it to turn a turbine will be very very inefficient.

1. What is an alternator and what does it do?

An alternator is a device found in vehicles that converts mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy to power the car's electrical systems and charge the battery. It is responsible for keeping the battery charged and supplying electricity to the car's various components while the engine is running.

2. How do I know if my alternator is failing?

There are a few signs that may indicate a failing alternator. These include dimming headlights, a dead battery, strange noises coming from the engine, and warning lights on the dashboard. If you are experiencing any of these issues, it is best to have your alternator checked by a professional mechanic.

3. What are some common reasons for alternator failure?

There are several reasons why an alternator may fail. These include worn out components, faulty connections, damaged wiring, and excessive strain from overuse. In some cases, the alternator may also fail due to a faulty voltage regulator or a bad battery.

4. Can I replace the alternator myself?

While it is possible to replace the alternator yourself, it is not recommended unless you have experience working on cars and the necessary tools. Alternator replacement can be a complex and delicate process, so it is best to have it done by a professional mechanic to ensure it is done correctly.

5. How do I choose the right alternator for my vehicle?

When searching for an alternator, it is important to know your vehicle's make, model, and year to ensure you get the correct fit. Additionally, you should consider the output amperage and warranty of the alternator. It is recommended to purchase an alternator from a reputable brand to ensure quality and reliability.