Derivation of (linearized) perturbation equations

In summary, the derivation of (linearized) perturbation equations involves splitting the density and velocity fields into homogeneous and inhomogeneous parts. The claim is made that the background quantities, \rho_0(t) and \vec{v_0}(x,t), must separately fulfill mass conservation. This is necessary for the equations of motion to be satisfied and is chosen for simplicity in the equations. However, it is important to check the derivation in textbooks for further clarification.
Angelos K
Hi, there!

I'm trying to understand the derivation of (linearized) pertubation equations given in my lecture.

As usual the density and velocity fields are split into a homogeneous and an inhomogeneous part:

[tex]\rho(t,x) = \rho_0(t) + \delta \rho(x,t)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}(t,x) = \vec{v_0}(t) + \vec{\delta v}(x,t)[/tex]

Then (and that is what I don't understand) the claim is made that the background quantrities need to separately fullfill mass conservation. In other words:

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho_0}{\partial t} + \rho_0 \nabla * \vec{v_0} = 0[/tex]

Any idea where this comes from?
Many thanks in advance!
Angelos

Space news on Phys.org
Angelos K said:
Hi, there!

I'm trying to understand the derivation of (linearized) pertubation equations given in my lecture.

As usual the density and velocity fields are split into a homogeneous and an inhomogeneous part:

[tex]\rho(t,x) = \rho_0(t) + \delta \rho(x,t)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}(t,x) = \vec{v_0}(t) + \vec{\delta v}(x,t)[/tex]

Then (and that is what I don't understand) the claim is made that the background quantrities need to separately fullfill mass conservation. In other words:

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho_0}{\partial t} + \rho_0 \nabla * \vec{v_0} = 0[/tex]

Any idea where this comes from?
Many thanks in advance!
Angelos
Okay, so first of all, there's something wrong with your equations, because if [tex]\vec{v_0}[/tex] is independent of position, then it implies that [tex]\rho_0(t)[/tex] must be independent of time.

Instead, [tex]\vec{v_0}[/tex] should have a very simple dependence upon position, one that stems from the simple expansion of the universe, with the peculiar velocity of all particles described by [tex]\vec{\delta v}[/tex]. So you should have:

[tex]\vec{v_0}(x, t) = \dot{a}\vec{x}[/tex]

Now, unfortunately I don't have my cosmology texts with me, but I believe that [tex]\rho_0(t)[/tex] and [tex]\vec{v_0}(x,t)[/tex] are specifically chosen to satisfy the equations of motion, as it makes the later equations simpler. I don't think it's something derived, just an arbitrary choice that makes the equations easy to work with (and makes [tex]\rho_0(t)[/tex] and [tex]\vec{v_0}(x,t)[/tex] carry physical significance as the "background" density and expansion).

v is usually defined as the peculiar velocity, hence v_0(x,t)=0 everywhere. I'm assuming this derivation is done in the synchronous gauge, in which case the velocity would be defined as above.

For Angelos, check the derivation in your (or any) textbook. Unfortunately you haven't given us enough information to be able to help you (for example exactly what your velocity is defined as). I'm happy to help if you can provide some more information, i.e. the definitions and all steps leading to the part you don't understand.

1. What is the purpose of deriving linearized perturbation equations?

Linearized perturbation equations are used to study the behavior of a system around a stable equilibrium point. They allow us to analyze small deviations from the equilibrium state and understand how the system responds to these perturbations.

2. How are linearized perturbation equations derived?

Linearized perturbation equations are derived by linearizing the original equations of motion around the equilibrium point. This involves taking the first-order Taylor series approximation of the equations and neglecting higher-order terms.

3. What are the assumptions made when deriving linearized perturbation equations?

The main assumptions made are that the system is linear, small perturbations are being considered, and the equilibrium point is stable. Additionally, the perturbations are assumed to be small enough that they do not significantly alter the original equations of motion.

4. What are the benefits of using linearized perturbation equations?

Linearized perturbation equations provide a simplified way to analyze the behavior of a complex system. They allow us to study the system's response to small disturbances without having to solve the original nonlinear equations, which can be difficult or impossible in some cases.

5. In what fields are linearized perturbation equations commonly used?

Linearized perturbation equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and applied mathematics to study a wide range of systems. These include but are not limited to mechanical systems, electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and control systems.