Cross product of a vector and its derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "vectorized quaternion" and its time derivative. The scalar product of these quaternions is found to be 0, but the cross product is discussed in more detail. The conversation mentions that the dot product of these quaternions is only 0 if the vector has constant length, and it is clarified that in this case, the length is indeed constant as these are rotation quaternions on a unit sphere.
nburo
Hello guys, this must be a very trivial question, but I just don't see it.

Ihave a "vectorized quaternion" (quaternion with a null scalar part) :

[tex]u(t) = (0, u_x(t), u_y(t), u_z(t) )[/tex]

We also have it's time derivative :

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}u(t) = \dot{u}(t) = (0, \dot{u}_x(t), \dot{u}_y(t), \dot{u}_z(t) )[/tex]

If I'm not mistaken, the scalar product of them should be :

[tex]\dot{u}(t)\cdot u(t) = 0[/tex]

But what would the cross product look like? I know I can write it this way :

[tex]\dot{u}(t)\times u(t) = (0, \dot{u}_y(t) u_z(t) - \dot{u}_z(t) u_y(t), \dot{u}_x(t) u_z(t) - \dot{u}_z(t) u_x(t), \dot{u}_x(t) u_y(t) - \dot{u}_y(t) u_x(t) )[/tex]

Is there a simpler answer? Anything wrong?

Thank you

EDIT : argh, sorry, it's prolly in the wrong subforum

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nburo said:
Hello guys, this must be a very trivial question, but I just don't see it.

Ihave a "vectorized quaternion" (quaternion with a null scalar part) :

[tex]u(t) = (0, u_x(t), u_y(t), u_z(t) )[/tex]

We also have it's time derivative :

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}u(t) = \dot{u}(t) = (0, \dot{u}_x(t), \dot{u}_y(t), \dot{u}_z(t) )[/tex]

If I'm not mistaken, the scalar product of them should be :

[tex]\dot{u}(t)\cdot u(t) = 0[/tex]
This may be where you are going wrong. The dot product of v and v' is 0 only if v has constant length.

But what would the cross product look like? I know I can write it this way :

[tex]\dot{u}(t)\times u(t) = (0, \dot{u}_y(t) u_z(t) - \dot{u}_z(t) u_y(t), \dot{u}_x(t) u_z(t) - \dot{u}_z(t) u_x(t), \dot{u}_x(t) u_y(t) - \dot{u}_y(t) u_x(t) )[/tex]

Is there a simpler answer? Anything wrong?

Thank you

EDIT : argh, sorry, it's prolly in the wrong subforum

HallsofIvy said:
This may be where you are going wrong. The dot product of v and v' is 0 only if v has constant length.

Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I forgot to say that those are rotation quaternions (rotation vector) on a unit sphere, so indeed, the length is constant

Last edited:

1. What is the cross product of a vector and its derivative?

The cross product of a vector and its derivative is a mathematical operation that results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both the original vector and its derivative. It is denoted by the symbol "×" and is also known as the vector product.

2. How is the cross product of a vector and its derivative calculated?

The cross product of a vector and its derivative is calculated using the formula:
(d/dx) (a×b) = (da/dx)×b + a×(db/dx)
where a and b are vectors and d/dx denotes the derivative with respect to x.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product of a vector and its derivative?

The cross product of a vector and its derivative can be interpreted as the area of the parallelogram formed by the original vector and its derivative. This is because the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of this parallelogram.

4. What are some applications of the cross product of a vector and its derivative?

The cross product of a vector and its derivative has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in calculating torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to simulate 3D rotations and orientations.

5. Can the cross product of a vector and its derivative be negative?

Yes, the cross product of a vector and its derivative can be negative. This can happen when the direction of the resulting vector is in the opposite direction of the cross product calculation. In other words, the resulting vector points in the opposite direction of the right-hand rule used to determine the direction of the cross product.